What’s on in Manchester: my first impressions

Sulaik Naukhez MSc Project Management
Sulaik Naukhez, MSc Project Management

My name is Sulaik Naukhez and I arrived in Manchester in January. My first months in the UK have been very colourful and here are my first impressions of the city and the country.

If you are like me and you prefer to embrace and explore your areas rather than staying in your student accommodation you might find some of my experiences of interest to you.

It was 4am on the 21st January 2015 when I took my first international flight from Lahore to Manchester. The purpose of my trip was of course postgraduate studies at the Salford Business School, University of Salford where I am reading MSc Project Management.

What’s on in Manchester? Here are some of my first impressions…

What’s on in Manchester: my tram and bus journeys

Mediacity UK tram station

Salford MediaCity tram stop

On the same night when I landed in Manchester I was shown the tram and bus station. On the very next morning I rushed to the tram station and learned how to buy my tickets. I stood for about 10 minutes and tried to figure out or ask anyone who could let me know how to buy a ticket. The weird thing was that I did not know my destination or even what I had to ask anyone!

I managed to buy a ticket with the help of one gentleman who was patient and helpful with my difficulties. As I travelled around Manchester on the tram I started learning about different deals and maps. Every day I discovered something new and different for example:

• DaySaver bus & tram
  • DaySaver any bus

Each of these discoveries increased my moments of joy since I saw opportunities to discover Salford and Manchester even further than I had initially anticipated!

I started learning the Manchester map posted above tram doors and covered 7 places in 4 days which includes Rochdale, Altrincham, Ashton under Lyne, Bury, Eccles and East Didsbury. Each town has its own market area and leisure clubs.Manchester Piccadilly

Manchester Piccadilly train station

Every day I checked the Manchester map and planned a different place to explore and it was all on my own. There was so much to see and learn about this historic place and so I didn’t get bored.

Raise your arm as a signal to the driver that you want the bus to stop

I must say trams are the best way for exploring and travelling since it is much easier than buses. This is because you can’t remember so quickly which bus will stop where. This caused confusion and annoyed me a lot in initial two weeks but I persevered and am now much more proficient in remembering the routes and bus stops. The other challenge that many international travellers might find is that you need to raise your arm as a signal to the driver that you want the bus to stop – when waiting at a bus stop.

Most of my friends asked me how did you managed to explore all these places so early. Well, I cannot stick at home for long so that’s the reason, I just leave my place and explore.

One of the best things I enjoyed was when in the very first week a stranger asked me for directions of how to get to Manchester Piccadilly train station!!!

Of course I was able to help and direct him to the (I hope) the right place!

Manchester and Salford experience

Salford Ambition

Salford Ambition

Besides missing first week of my University of Salford orientation which I spent exploring places in Manchester, I managed to get myself familiar with the Salford Business School Peel and MediaCityUK campus like all other students. I think that I did well to project manage my excursions and study so far – first module marks are to be announced soon! I also hope that my explorations will help me with my MSc Project Management course.

After completing my study registration and formalities we had our first sessions at MediaCityUK the only university campus in MediaCity. As far as facilities of university are concern I would use words “most excellent” for that.

Quality of studies and post lecture guidance which includes library, learning material sources, laptops, comfortable environment 24/7 service all that is superb to be honest. I had never imagined it until I witnessed it myself. Probably I would come here again to pursue further studies if I get the chance!

Chinese New Year Experience

Manchester China Town

China Town Manchester

Manchester is a multicultural place and you can see this from the colourful Manchester China Town Gate and celebrations that embrace different cultures. I also used my opportunity to attend Chinese New Year celebrations from 19th Feb to 22nd Feb ‘15.

It was amazing to see China Town in Manchester City centre having been decorated with all kinds of oriental displays and specially prepared fireworks, not to mention the final day which was simply remarkable. One can easily learn a lot from such events about other cultures, especially for those who are keen to integrate and understand new experiences.

Of course the main reason I am at Salford Business School is to realise my career ambitions, but for anyone who wants to combine study and explore new places, Manchester is certainly full of great events which make my time at Salford Business School that bit more colourful! Do you want to make the most of your time at Salford University? Why not have a look at the events calendar which gives you a flavour of activities, festivals, fairs, celebrations and concerts you might want to enjoy:

http://www.timeout.com/manchester/things-to-do/manchester-events-calendar

Comments