That was an academic year? #studentdiaries

By May.11, 2017

Dominic Williams
English Literature and Creative Writing student

A sort of bombshell hit me this week, with the realisation that my first year as an undergraduate student is about to end.

It doesn’t seem like two years ago that I first made the decision to start the application process, and now here I am, modules for Year 2 selected, with the emphasis on the creative – my main inspiration and reason for this journey.  Even as I’m typing this, it still hasn’t quite sunk in as to what I have achieved, how far I have come in such a relatively short space of time, time which seems to be flying by at an incredibly fast rate.

This period of time has been educational in every possible sense of the word, and after a 30 year gap in education, it hasn’t been all straight forward, but a welcome challenge none the less.

If I take a moment to fully consider the events of the last year, then one thing I have noticed is my acceptance, albeit very slowly, of my abilities as a writer. I know I’m on the right track, and time and patience will be my friend (I hope!!).  With the benefit of wisdom and advice from not only my tutors, but fellow students whom I have come to know as friends, friends with whom I have come to learn that my age is not an impediment to achieving something for which I have dreamed for such a long time.  Not only that, but the acceptance of myself, flaws and all, no matter what the age gaps that exist, without this being a barrier, in such a diverse group of students, or should I once again emphasise, friends.

Indeed, I am eternally grateful for not only the opportunities that are already opening up to me, but for those yet to come – who knows what lies ahead during and after the next two years!