The last few weeks of 2016 were full on to say the least!! #studentdiaries

By Feb.06, 2017

“At times as the pressure was immense”

So its been a while since I wrote a blog… The last few weeks of 2016 were full on to say the least!! I had an exam to do (stress!!!) a case study, academic poster, ICPP assignment and Viva to complete. I didn’t know what to do with myself at times as the pressure was immense. Thank goodness that I had planned my work out and was on top of it, but even that being said I haven’t been as stressed as I was in December for a long time.

“I learnt a valuable lesson for coping with exams”

The exam in particular was a struggle for me. I do not perform well under exam conditions, retaining information under stress is really difficult and I felt like the stuff I’d learnt literally fell out of my head as I opened the exam paper. I learnt a valuable lesson for coping with exams – I need to prepare further out in future and not leave it until a week before to start the revision.

“I was starting to feel like I was living a parallel life to my family”

I allowed myself Christmas off to spend time with my lovely family because I had become acutely aware that I was spending less and less time with my kids as my deadlines were looming. It is absolutely my choice to do this degree and when the degree is over and I have secured my dream job it will all be worth it but I was starting to feel like I was living a parallel life to my family. They were times when it would get me down that I wasn’t being as present in my life as I wanted to, I was desperate to be able to sit down and watch My Little Pony with them but I just wanted to get my work complete so that I could have 2 weeks off. It was a push but I’m proud that I managed it and we had a fantastic Christmas together.

I feel so well supported by my tutors and friends

Semester 2 starts for me with my first placement. I won’t lie I am extremely nervous about it as I have been placed in an acute mental health ward, its something that I have no experience of and the thought of the unknown is scary and worrying to me. However, I feel so well supported by my tutors and friends and we had an amazing lecture this week where 2 service users with Schizophrenia came in to talk to us, they were really inspiring and I’m now feeling really up for the challenge. I’ve been doing some reading on various mental health disorders in preparation for the placement so bring it on!

I already have a feeling that there will be lots to learn over the next 4 weeks, some good and some bad experiences but its a really important part of the course.