From Jeremy Corbyn to Donald Trump; Olympic glory to Euros misery; it’s fair to say that 2016 has been an absolute roller coaster. Sit back and reflect on what a crazy year it has been by listening to my 2016 in music.

1. All You Need is Love//The Beatles

As well as being one of the best songs ever written, All You Need Is Love has a very personal reason for being on this list: it was playing when I first told my girlfriend that I love her.

2. Let’s Dance to Joy Division//The Wombats

This song has become so relevant to my life recently, especially the line, “everything is going wrong but we’re so happy”. So far 2016 has been the best year of my life (touch wood) and yet the world around me seems to be imploding in on itself.

3. Freed from Desire//Gala

Sorry people but this is my playlist and as a Wigan fan this song has been played at least twice a day this year. WILL GRIGG’S ON FIRE!!!!!!!!

4. Heroes//David Bowie

The world lost a hero in David Bowie this year. A year that has seen the passing of so many icons. This song helps remind me of how Bowie, Prince and many others touched the lives of so many and were heroes in their own right. R.I.P David.

5. The Opener//Courteeners

The Opener is a love song aimed at The Courteeners’ home town, Manchester. Since moving to within walking distance of where I believe to be the second greatest city on Earth (Salford being top of course), this song has resonated with me on many levels. As the lyrics say, I may not always be in Manchester in person but, “my heart is here, here to stay”.

6. American Idiot//Green Day

The USA is electing their next President this year and without pointing fingers I can think of someone who fits the bill as an “American Idiot”.

7. I Want You Back//The Jackson 5

Brexit has seen yet another travesty in 2016 as pensioners decided the future of the young. Please Europe, I want you back!

8. Apeman// The Kinks

After a year of such craziness, I think I have to agree with the Kinks on this one. “I don’t feel safe in this world no more, I don’t wanna die in a nuclear war, I wanna sail away to a distant shore and make like an Apeman”. Being an Apeman doesn’t sound like such a bad idea these days!

9. Bittersweet Symphony// The Verve

This song symbolises how strange this year has been. On one hand it’s been incredible but for so many it has been horrible. Very bittersweet indeed.

10. Oh Brother//Frank Turner

One of the hardest things I have done this year is move away from my best friend as we both left for university. This song sums up my relationship with him and how we’ll always be brothers despite being apart.