The current call for the University’s Research Internal Support Fund will be closing on 3rd July.
Applications to the Research Internal Support Fund can be for a range of research-related activities, such as participation at conferences of international standing, the preparation of large-scale bids (in general over £150,000, depending on the discipline) for external research funding, or lead to outputs of REF-able quality. Awards may cover direct costs such as travel and accommodation, teaching time buy-out and research assistance, and conducting preparatory research trials.
Under normal circumstances matched funding of 50% of the total cost of the planned activity must be evidenced, either from internal or external sources (requests for more than 50% of required costs from the Fund will be considered at the discretion of the review panel, except for conference participation, where 50% matched funding is mandatory). There are limit to what funds are available and conference participation will be capped at £750 and for other activity such as bidding development or a pilot project a maximum of £3,000. There is no set format for your visit or project and examples of activity that could be funded include:
- Undertaking small-scale or pilot projects that will lead to the submission of larger research bids.
- Presenting at conferences or similar events that are of international standing.
- Research at archives and libraries (or other similar institutions), both UK and overseas.
- Projects incorporating a research mobility component and leading to a research bid or output.
- Specialised equipment (that is non-standard to what the University provides).
- Small-scale buy-out of teaching.
- Research assistance.
For further information, and to make an application, please see the Internal Funding pages on the Research and Enterprise website.