Student Diaries

Student Diaries is a new and exciting project from your Skills for Learning team!

Students will be capturing their experience of the first year of study at university and sharing them on this blog. Follow their journeys as they start university, walk into their first large lecture, go on placement and tackle their first assignment!

Got your own story to tell? You can find out about becoming one of our student bloggers by emailing library-skillsforlearning@salford.ac.uk.

Read the latest diary entries

• Need to get some reading done? Here are Ella’s 5 favourite places to read on campus.

October 09th, 2017

Another academic year is upon us which many will see as a fresh start. You may be just beginning your degree; or you may see this year as an opportunity to change last year’s habits. One thing we all have in common is we have new reading lists this year! If you are new to ...

• Reading lists and how to use them by Ella

October 06th, 2017

Ella Haggis, 2nd year English Language student Entering any of our English Programmes, you’ll have a lot of reading to do. The type of reading – Fiction or Non-Fiction – will obviously vary from course to course. Some classes will have one or two “core textbooks” that the lecturer will use throughout the whole course. Other ...

• Year one (almost) completed! #StudentDiaries #SalfordSmart

May 24th, 2017

Anne share the ups and downs of her first year at Uni So as I sit here this morning, working on one of my final first year assignments I cannot believe how quickly this year has passed. From the giddy excitement of last September where I skipped into uni with my new backpack and pencils, keen ...

• That was an academic year? #studentdiaries

May 11th, 2017

Dominic WilliamsEnglish Literature and Creative Writing student A sort of bombshell hit me this week, with the realisation that my first year as an undergraduate student is about to end. It doesn’t seem like two years ago that I first made the decision to start the application process, and now here I am, modules for Year 2 ...

• Time is flying by and I have learned some study key lessons!! #studentdiaries

March 23rd, 2017

Anne shares her key study lessons and her experience of going out on placement. I cannot believe that it is nearly the end of March and my time as a first year undergraduate student is coming to an end. The time from January onwards has gone so fast that I’m not sure where to start… I have ...

• The first semester was a steep learning curve on so many levels #studentdiaries

February 13th, 2017

Dominic WilliamsEnglish Literature and Creative Writing student Rather astoundingly, time has progressed rapidly and we find ourselves well into Semester Two. Upon reflection, the first semester was a steep learning curve on so many levels.  The level of study involved in obtaining an undergraduate degree has never been more apparent, as the initial shock of reality biting has settled.  ...

• The last few weeks of 2016 were full on to say the least!! #studentdiaries

February 06th, 2017

“At times as the pressure was immense” So its been a while since I wrote a blog… The last few weeks of 2016 were full on to say the least!! I had an exam to do (stress!!!) a case study, academic poster, ICPP assignment and Viva to complete. I didn’t know what to do with myself ...

• Exam meltdown #studentdiaries

January 31st, 2017

Plenty of time to revise 3 weeks off for Xmas and revision. That’s plenty of time to revise I thought. Having put in the effort previously on my essay I just had 2 exams to revise for. The first one was professional studies; a written exam. I hate written exams. I always have. The last written ...

• New to Salford? You are not alone! #studentdiaries

January 30th, 2017

Our team of fab student bloggers have been writing about their experience of studying at Uni and sharing some really good reflections about being a new student. Anne – studying Occupational Therapy Meet Anne. She has become an ‘expert juggler’ since starting her Occupational Therapy course in September. She has been blogging about setting up her ‘occupation ...

• One Semester Already…? #studentdiaries

December 15th, 2016

I’m finding myself a little overwhelmed as I start to write this post.  Firstly, I am a little behind due to sickness.  Secondly, given that there are only five days left before we adjourn for the seasonal festivities, there is a general consensus amongst myself and my fellow students, that these last four months seem to ...