Maudlyn Akosua Awuku graduated from the University of Salford in 2021 and is now an award-winning advocate for women and girls. Internationally recognised by the United Nations and the UK House of Parliament – as well as a Salford Alumni Rising Star Award recipient – Maudlyn is the Founder and CEO of two organisations, one in the UK and one in Ghana, which both promote intersectional gender equality and empower women to enter politics and business. Maudlyn recently shared her story with us.

Why did you choose to study at the University of Salford? 

I wanted to be part of an institution that acknowledges and celebrates its students’ determination and ambition. The University of Salford’s commitment to fostering an environment where students can excel and reach their full potential aligns perfectly with my aspirations, making it the ideal place for me to pursue my educational and personal development goals. 

My passion for community field projects and development led me to pursue a career in project management. The University of Salford’s strong reputation for providing real-life experiences with industry professionals was one of the key factors that influenced my decision.  

Tell us about your journey from Salford student to where you are now and your role as an advocate for women

My journey from being a student at the University of Salford to where I am today has been incredible and fulfilling. Despite the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic, I seized every opportunity during my time at Salford.  

After graduation, I embarked on a mission to represent and empower women globally. One of my significant initiatives was the establishment of the GEWE Network in the UK. The organisation focuses on intersectional gender equality within the UK and empowers young women and girls, particularly those from Minoritised Ethnic backgrounds, to take on political and civic leadership roles. 

Additionally, my youth-led NGO, Anijie Global Foundation, has profoundly impacted the lives of over 6,000 women and youth in Ghana and West Africa. Through sustainable initiatives and advocacy of creating an enabling environment for youth leadership, we have worked towards providing better opportunities for marginalised communities. Our efforts include donating 5,000 exercise books to over 40 schools in these areas to promote inclusive and equitable lifelong learning.  

My commitment to women’s and youth empowerment led me to represent UN Women UK as a Delegate at the Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nations in 2022 and 2023.  

In recognition of my dedication and impact, I’ve received several prestigious awards, including the Young Achievers Awards in the UK House of Parliament, the Young Peace Ambassador Awards and the Humanitarian of the Year accolade. Furthermore, I have been recognised and included in the prestigious list of the “Forty Under 40 Most Influential Young Leaders” in Ghana and the UK.  

What are you most proud of? 

I take great pride in inspiring positive change and empowerment for women and young people. My mission is to encourage them to chase their dreams, unlock their full potential, shatter barriers across diverse domains, and work towards a future where every voice is heard, represented and valued.  

Witnessing the remarkable growth, impressive achievements and transformative impact among beneficiaries fills me with an overwhelming sense of purpose and deep satisfaction. 

What’s your favourite thing about running your organisations, GEWE Network in the UK and the Anijie Global Foundation in Ghana? 

Making a positive impact. It allows me to contribute to meaningful causes and make a difference. My organisations prioritize collaboration, innovation, and empowerment, providing ample opportunities for personal and professional growth. Working for GEWE Network and Anijie Global Foundation has been an impactful experience with visible results of how we made a difference in the lives of others. 

What is your message to our current students? 

Follow your passion, Be LEGIT (Lead, Empower, Grow, Inspire, Transform) and be unstoppable.  

You will undoubtedly encounter obstacles, but don’t let them discourage you from pursuing your dreams. Remember, no one else will believe in you if you don’t believe in yourself. Beyond the sky is the limit. 

How did you feel when you found out you were a recipient of an Alumni Rising Star Award in 2023? 

I was incredibly excited and honoured to receive a letter from the Vice-Chancellor informing me that I had been chosen as a Rising Star Award recipient.  

It was a moment of great validation and encouragement for all the hard work and effort I had put into my endeavours. This recognition is a powerful motivator, reminding me that even when it seems like no one is noticing your efforts, some people appreciate and acknowledge your contributions. 

Thank you to Maudlyn for sharing your story with us. If you would like to share your story, or know of a peer with a story to tell, we would love to hear from you. Please get in touch at alumni@salford.ac.uk.