Dr Agimol Pradeep is a nurse and award-winning healthcare campaigner. She completed her Master’s degree and PhD in nursing at the University of Salford and graduated in 2015. 

Agimol is a Transplant Recipient Coordinator at the King’s College Hospital in London. In her spare time, Agimol campaigns to raise awareness of organ, blood, and stem cell donation within minoritised ethnic communities, which has led to thousands of registered Asian organ donors.  

Agimol has also successfully campaigned for internationally educated nurses to be fully recognised and registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council, so they can continue working in the UK. The campaign was recognised by the Health Services Journal, winning the award for Workforce Initiative of the Year. Agimol was also invited to a reception at Buckingham Palace in November 2023 to celebrate the 75th birthday of His Majesty King Charles III. 

We had the opportunity to catch up with Agimol and get an insight into her incredible journey. 

What does a typical day look like for you? 

I am one of the founders and trustee members of a charity organisation called Upahaar. I spend most of my off-work time working in the community to promote organ and stem cell donation and training new volunteers to do the same. Currently, we have over 70 volunteers working around the UK supporting local campaigns to spread the ‘Gift of Life’ message among the South Asian community. 

I also campaigned for the rights of internationally educated nurses (IENs) in the UK to support their academic and career progression. I started this campaign in early 2020 to find justice for thousands of IENs who have been working as unregistered practitioners in the UK for over a decade. IENs were expected to complete an English language test as a requirement of their registration, despite having already completed their initial nursing training in English and completing their clinical skills exams successfully.  

After 36 months of intense campaigning, the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) implemented a new pathway called Supporting Information from Employer (SIFE), to support the nurses who have been living and working in the UK for over 12 months to complete their registration with the support of their Nurse Managers. This means they will not have to take an additional English language test. To date, hundreds of IENs received their UK nursing registration and professional identity via SIFE pathway. I also received support from the University of Salford officials for this campaign. Thank you to Dr Dilla Davis, Professor Margaret Rowe and Professor Johnson. Recently, we won the prestigious HSJ Workforce Initiative Award.  

Agimol Pradeep campaigning to promote organ donations within minoritised ethnic communities.

Tell us about your journey from Salford student to where you are now. 

When I started my Master’s degree, I did not intend to continue in academia. However, I was humbled to receive recognition for the best dissertation and my professor recommended that I continue with my studies. Professor Ormandy supported me in finding a scholarship to fund my PhD and kindly agreed to be my supervisor along with Professor Brittle. With their guidance and support, I completed my PhD in 3 years despite being a part-time student. I was able to make a positive impact on increasing awareness of organ and stem cell donation among the South Asian community through my studies. My community involvement was recognised nationally and locally, and I was honoured to receive the British Empire Medal (BEM) in 2018. 

Following my academic journey at the University of Salford, I achieved many milestones and accolades. I can save many more lives through promoting the ‘Gift of Life’ registry in a volunteering capacity. Indeed, all this started by taking baby steps at the University of Salford. I received amazing support and guidance from my lecturers and professors, who enabled me to grow in confidence and knowledge.  

What’s your favourite thing about working in the NHS? 

I am proud to be an NHS employee. It’s amazing to provide equal treatment to my patients without looking at their financial, ethnic, or religious status. I am humbled to witness and be part of many life-saving procedures. The NHS is the most rewarding place to work in the world.  

If you had one message to current students and recent graduates, what would it be? 

You have taken the best decision in your life to join the University of Salford. You are in safe hands as it is an excellent place to grow in your academic and personal life. I wish each of you all the best. Remember, the sky is the limit and if you are willing to play your role and commit to your learning, your professors will help you to reach your goals and you will see places that you never thought to see in your life. 

We thank Agimol for sharing her inspirational story. If you have a story to tell, please get in touch and email us at alumni@salford.ac.uk.