60 sec with Julie Lawrence, Lecturer in Social Work

By Oct.31, 2016

pic0061.What is your position within the School?

I am a lecturer in social work and the programme leader for the post graduate Continuous Professional Development  (CPD) Social Work Programme.

2.How long have you worked in the School of Nursing, Midwifery, Social Work and Social Sciences, University of Salford? 

I joined the school in November 2000, as a part-time tutor. I became a lecturer in social work in April 2010.

3.Which building are you based in?

The Allerton Building.

4.Why did you choose to work within the School?

I chose to work within the school because it has a modern, lively atmosphere and there are opportunities to undertake research projects which I can share with students.

5.What is your most memorable moment of being in the School?

When my tutee presented the outcomes from her research in 2015 at an international conference. I was there to saviour the moment s of her success.

6.What is your biggest dream?

That everyone has a guiding voice to support opportunities to fulfil  potential   .

7.When you are not at work what do you do to relax?

I visit beautiful gardens and admire the vistas.

8.What was your first job?

My first job was based within the Magistrate’s Court in Chester, I worked as a Probation Assistant to the Court.

9. What has been your greatest achievement?

Undertaking my PhD and meeting a Social Learning Theorist: Professor Etienne Wenger-Trayner in 2014.

10.What would make your job easier?

Although important, less administration.

11.Finally, what one piece of advice would you give to students/colleagues?

Have the courage to take a risk and believe in yourself to succeed: ‘no matter what’.

Posted in 60 Sec With ...