60 seconds with Christopher Birkbeck, Professor of Criminology

By Jul.06, 2016

chris31.What is your position within the School?

I am a Professor of Criminology.

2.How long have you worked in the School of Nursing, Midwifery, Social Work and Social Sciences, University of Salford? 

I joined the University of Salford in 2006, and relocated to this school in September 2013.

3.Which building are you based in?

I am based in the Allerton Building and my office number is L516.

4.Why did you choose to work within the School?

When I joined the university, the Criminology and Sociology programme was located in another school. The move to NMSWSS has been very interesting because it puts us in the same school as colleagues who specialise in Social Work or Social Policy, which are quite closely related to some of the teaching and research that we do. There are also some important links between the criminal justice and health care sectors, which we are now starting to explore.

5.What is your most memorable moment of being in the School?

Securing approval to open our MSc – The Criminal Justice Process (in 2014) and our BSc Criminology with Counselling (starting in 2017).

6.What is your biggest dream?

For cooperation to replace competition.

7.When you are not at work what do you do to relax?

I love to go running, listen to music, watch films, drive to nowhere in particular and drink a good cup of coffee.

8.What was your first job?

A very junior assistant in a butcher’s shop. I mainly worked on a delivery round, but I can still remember being sent to get a cow’s tongue from the bottom of a huge vat in the walk-in fridge where they were stored in vinegar.

9. What has been your greatest achievement?

Personally: the chance to work in three different countries (the UK, the US, Venezuela).

Professionally: I hope to have been ‘a zero on the right, and not a zero on the left’. (This is a saying in South America: a zero on the right of a number multiplies it by ten; a zero on the left makes no difference whatsoever.)

10.What would make your job easier?

An ability to say ‘no!’ and thereby resist the temptations of so many interesting projects.

11.Finally, what one piece of advice would you give to students/colleagues?

Always ask for advice.