60 seconds with Sarah Riding, Lecturer in Social Work

By Sep.21, 2016

1.What is your position within the School?

I’m a Lecturer in Social Work. I’m also the Programme Leader for the undergraduate degree programmes in Social Work.

2.How long have you worked in the School of Nursing, Midwifery, Social Work and Social Sciences, University of Salford? 

I joined the University of Salford in September 2013 as a Lecturer in Social Work within the School.

3.Which building are you based in?

I am based in Allerton Building on the sixth floor in Room C605.

4.Why did you choose to work within the School?

I had previously been teaching on Health and Social Care, Primary Teaching and Early Years Degrees in Blackpool, however as a Social Worker I was keen to teach my speciality and was impressed with what the University offered both staff and students.

5.What is your most memorable moment of being in the School?

There are many memorable moments, however I particularly enjoy meeting each new group of social work students during induction, I love the enthusiasm and great potential I can see and watching them develop and finally graduate is the icing on the cake.

6.What is your biggest dream?

To see any form of injustice and hatred towards others banished from society, I want our children to believe they have a future where they believe they can achieve anything they want and are given the means to do so.

To be there when Manchester City win the Champions league.

7.When you are not at work what do you do to relax?

I love to watch movies but my great passion is sport, I have a season ticket for Manchester City FC and watch them home and away, I have learned to live with the highs and a lot of lows over the years but love being in the crowd and meeting so many different people.

8.What was your first job?

My first job was working as a Health Care assistant at Blackpool Victoria Hospital on outpatients and on older people’s rehabilitation wards.

9. What has been your greatest achievement?

On a personal level working in Mother Teresa’s home for the dying in Kokata and having the privilege of meeting her, definitely the most moving moment.

Professionally it is simply the success of my students, makes everything worthwhile.

10.What would make your job easier?

Definitely more time, rather than making the job easier, for me  it’s about making it more effective, I would love to have more time to spend face to face with students.

11.Finally, what one piece of advice would you give to students/colleagues?

Always aim high!

“If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” ― Mother Teresa

Posted in 60 Sec With ...