60 seconds with Tina Patel, Senior Lecturer in Criminology

By Jun.06, 2016

Dr. Tina Patel

Dr. Tina Patel

1.What is your position within the School?

I’m a Senior Lecturer in Criminology. I’m also the Programme Leader for the undergraduate degree programmes in Criminology; Criminology & Sociology; Sociology.

2.How long have you worked in the School of Nursing, Midwifery, Social Work and Social Sciences, University of Salford? 

I joined the University of Salford in August 2008 as a lecturer in Criminology, and joined the School of Nursing, Midwifery, Social Work and Social Sciences a few years ago.

3.Which building are you based in?

I can be found in room L522 in the Allerton Building.

4.Why did you choose to work within the School?

I like the challenges and opportunities that the School presents me with.

5.What is your most memorable moment of being in the School?

I have many. But I think one of my most memorable moments was when I was interviewed for my application to be a Senior Lecturer in July 2014 … not least because I had just given birth a week earlier! Making it to the interview on time and being able to actually enjoy the interview was a huge personal achievement for me given everything else that was going on at the time.

6.What is your biggest dream?

My biggest dream is for everyone to think seriously and usefully about the injustices in our world, and then start to make meaningful movement towards ending them. I’d especially like to see an end to racialised injustice. In terms of academia and education, I’d like to see a higher education system that is more freely accessible.

7.When you are not at work what do you do to relax?

I like running, cooking and DIY. I also enjoy spending time with friends. I love being with my family and making playdoh animals with my children.

8.What was your first job?

I worked at a chocolate factory (for a very famous company). I used to unwrap out-of-date chocolate, and then got promoted to the wrapping and bagging line – even today, I still can’t look at slab of chocolate without feeling sick!!!

9. What has been your greatest achievement?

Getting my PhD. Not bad given that my GCSE careers advisor told me I’d never even get enough GCSEs to do A-levels!!!

10.What would make your job easier?

A penthouse style office. A PA. A Nespresso machine. A personal chef to make my lunch. A driver to take me from campus to campus. And, if all that’s not possible – I’d say a rethink on how we use emails and why we hold meetings would give me back lots of precious time to spend on being academic.

11.Finally, what one piece of advice would you give to students/colleagues?

If you really want something, make it happen. An important part of that (after the dreaming of course) is the planning – what to do, how to do it, when to do it, and so on. Planning is just as important as the doing.