From King Saud University, Riyadh to University of Salford, Manchester

By Oct.13, 2015

SabahI am Sabah Alsomali, Ph.D. researcher
second year at University of Salford, School: Nursing, Midwifery, and Social Work & Social Sciences.

I have been interested in nursing and patient care from the age of 14 years old when I chose to follow the footstep of my eldest sister who was a working as a nurse. Her attitude towards nursing inspired me so much so that I wished to be like her and make a contribution to caring for people who are in hospital.  Consequently I enrolled at King Saud Nursing College, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia and I qualified in 1989 when I was successful in attaining my Diploma in General Nursing.  Subsequently, I undertook a variety of roles in gynaecology, antenatal care and in particular medical care.

In 1998 I successfully completed a Bachelor in Nursing and then a Master’s Degree in Nursing Administration at King Sa7360980689e587f804b0240ace7616eaud University, Riyadh. This higher academic level of education further enhanced my passion to take care of the patients with evidenced based knowledge.

In my role as a Hospital Nursing Director for the last ten years, my work was concerned with coordinating, planning and directing the overall clinical nursing practices in the hospital. After reading various works of literature in this field, it soon dawned on me that effective management of diabetes requires a multi-disciplinary approach. I also realized that health care professionals are only responsible for a small percentage of the care as 95% of caring is managed by the person with diabetes. Furthermore, diabetes care does not take place in isolation and the consistency of support networks is perhaps more important than all the medication because families and friends play a major role in supporting, motivating and empowering the person suffering from diabetes.

To this end, I made a conscious decision to act as a changemaker and bring about some changes, particularly at a time when the prevalence of diabetes is so volatile in Saudi Arabia. Thus, I was successful in my application to undertake a higher academic degree such as Ph.D. to explore the following research problem:

The role of professional and social support systems as determinants of self-care among adults diagnosed with type 2 diabetes mellitus in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

My Ph.D. first year experiences

I arrived in Manchester September 2014 eager to begin my doctoral studies in a new country as an international student from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. I chose to travel to the UK for my degree to broaden my academic and personal horizons.

SabahThis unique – University of Salford – is widely famous in my country for its outstanding performance in the educational research, and the academic staff is well known in their fields of expertise. In my opinion, a supervisor with a high reputation in the research field is crucial and tempting and I was searching for that level of knowledge and experience, which I found at School of Nursing, Midwifery, Social Work and Social Science. My supervisor is helpful to guiding and directing me, and I learned numerous research skills from him, as well as, acquired insightful knowledge related to my research and overall personal development.

I found the facilities and resources at the University of Salford outstanding. The university is well organized and the support team is always available and helpful.

Screen6updatedThe diversity of my fellow research students from all over the world and the sheer range of subjects make a large academic community of mutually supportive researchers. We are encouraged to share our work via a series of seminars on the research approaches and issues. For example, I had the opportunity to participate in several seminars in the university such as I was one of the speakers on International Nursing Day, and I presented my research project on the celebration of Postgraduate Research Day. I was also one of the organizers and speakers on the event of Saudi National Day at University of Salford. In addition to this, I gave a lecture to new students of Master’s Degree at University.

My first year of studying Ph.D. at University of Salford was quite busy because I spent a lot of time reading relevant literature, attended seminars and workshops, which helped me to understand the research methods and methodology. In addition to this, I prepared for my interim assessment research proposal, which was scheduled in late June 2015. The interim assessment was the most important evaluation event in my Ph.D. work. The examiners were extremely helpful, friendly, and gave some valuable comments. Following this, my supervisor and I were asked to leave the room. The most stressful moment was the waiting time for the results outside the office with my supervisor. After a period of 10 minutes, we were informed that I passed my interim assessment and can now consider myself a real Ph.D. student.  The interim assessment was a turning point for me in this research work. Although, I completed all the preparations work, for example literature review, research methods, I felt that the second year would be the year marked as the initiating year of the research and hard work.

The city of Manchester is a great place for studying. It is known as the “best student city”. The city is multicultural and lively, and the city has lots of tourist attractions, museums, galleries, and on-going events throughout the year.

University of Salford vibrant campus is only a short travel from Manchester central. I found myself in a middle of great things happening, which influence my personal development and my learning, which I am planning to take back to my home country when I graduate! Finally, I can say that at the University of Salford, challenges may seem big but they fill my life with excitement and help me to realise my dreams with more confidence and enthusiasm!

Sabah Alsomali

Ph.D. student second year at University of Salford,

School: Nursing, Midwifery, and Social Work & Social Sciences.

Posted in Meet our Students
38 Comments

38 thoughts on “From King Saud University, Riyadh to University of Salford, Manchester

1. Kosar Aideed says:

It very good writing. I can’t stop reading Sabah Alsomali, biography highly academic person with good experience. Well define journey of her PhD at University of Salford.

1. Sabah says:

Kosarf, thank you very much for your comments.

2. Abdulrhman Hossin says:

I really enjoyed reading your life experience. Thank you for sharing your story and your success with us.

1. Thank you for your comment

3. Afrah ismael says:

It is an exellant article I really like

1. Thank you for your comment

4. Yussuf Ahmed (Harir) says:

Very interesting to read the article as Sabah shared her valuable experience from early age to present time. Good that her elder sisters inspired her to join in the field of caring and fortunately doing your PHD. well done and I hope you for a great success. I am sure you will help much more people who desperately need your support and care after your graduation. good luck for journey.

1. Thank you very much for your comment

5. Maha Alreshidi says:

Sabah Alsomaly,, personally I know here she is a very inspired person hard worker , she so supportive and what you write really replays good personality hard worker ,
    Thank you Sabah for your sharing your experience and goals.

1. Thank you very much for your comment

6. Nagla AlSaleh says:

This is really an excellent model to follow in the life which will improve our personality and thinking.
    Sabah, your inspiration and experience mean a lot.

1. Thank you very much for your comment

7. Thanks sabah for the valuable subject
    For who are not knowing sabah, she is a good leadership everywhere.

1. Thank you for your comment

8. Sabah, you have done a good job. I enjoyed reading your experience at University of Salford, thank you sharing with us. Well done.

1. Thank you very much for your comment

9. Huda says:

Very interested topic and I hope this article will inspire a lot of people. Thank you sharing with us your experience. Well done Sabah

1. Thank you for your comment

10. Naima says:

Very ambitious person. I really like it the way you present your article what I want say to you that big thinking precedes great achievement and hope you will succeeded and graduate Finally.
    Thank you for your article.

11. sabah this is really an excellent,enjoyed reading your life experience.very interesting to read the article as sabah ,thank you for sharing your story life. good luck at university salford

12. Tasleem says:

I really enjoyed reading your life experience . Thank you for sharing your story .

13. sabah this is really an excellent,enjoyed reading your life experience.very interesting to read the article as sabah ,thank you for sharing your story life. good luck at university salford

14. Roza alawadi says:

Sabah : this is really an excellent model, and good enjoyed reading your life experience , Glad to know your story life .thank for your article .
    Good luck.

15. Abdi-Aziz says:

Sabah. You have done a good job of summarizing your eduction till present and your work experience.
    I really like it and read it again and again. thank you sharing with us and good luck for you PhD study at University of Salford.

16. Abdi-Aziz says:

I really like it and read it again and again. thank you sharing with us and good luck for your PhD study at University of Salford.

17. n.e.mo. says:

It very good enjoyed reading your life experience, very interesting time read the article.I hope you for great success
    Good luck .

18. Hassan Osman says:

Very inspiring piece of education, work and life journey! You cannot meet Sabah and not fell in love with her hard work, determination and desire to achieve great things at Salford University. I am grateful for her contributions to PGR students at the School of Nursing, Midwifery, Social Work & Social Sciences.

19. Sabah,am proud to know Saudi women like you. I really enjoyed when I read your work experience which give me a great example, challenge and hard work that you did during your work and study really good example for successful women like you keep up.

20. Amar says:

I really enjoyed reading your article and I like it. it is very interested.

21. So interesting, Thank you Sabah to write this amazing story about your carrier in nursing and special thanks for Ministry of Health who built a national leaders in Saudi Arabia like Sabah. I really proud of you. May Allah bless you. Your colleague Noura Almadani

1. Sabah says:

Noura, thank you very much for your comment. May Allah bless you

COMMENTING POLICY:

We love comments here but we have rules. All comments are moderated before appearing and abuse, profanity, aggression, spam and certain other content will not be tolerated on this site, so please don’t waste your time.

Read our full comments policy