We caught up with Amira Bacha, a first-year student studying BSc International Business who won Best Solo Presenter and Best Overall Team at the University Innovation Challenge. She also won Most Improved Team at the Enactus UK National Expo awards ceremony in early April.

Hi Amira, can you tell us about the University Innovation Challenge?

It was a challenge organised by the DXC Technology Company to work with a team to propose a business idea, then work with different teams from a range of Universities. We had to prepare a business plan for the idea in just one week.

My idea was about preventing car accidents. It was about making the safety features within a car work together via an app which would be almost like a portfolio for each driver. It would send data from the drivers to determine how effective they are. The idea also aims to work with the NHS to prevent car accidents.

Amira sitting outside the biodiversity area of the University of Salford campus

What was it like to win Best Solo Presenter and Best Overall Team?

I didn’t believe I would win so when they read my name I was really surprised like ‘Oh my god it’s me, I won!’. This was out of about 120 people so it was really about making people remember you and standing out from the crowd so the fact that I won, I was really happy about it.

What does the future hold for you?

Before I participated in this challenge, I was hoping I would work in a company for maybe 7 or 10 years to gain the money and experience I need to open my own business. But right now, having had the idea in the challenge and seeing how many people liked it from other companies and the University of Salford, I can see that a lot of doors are now open. So now I think I can do it, maybe I will open my own business, if not now then after my third year when I graduate.

Amira on the University of Salford campus

What else have you been up to during your time at Salford?

I am also part of Enactus Salford, an entrepreneurial society at the University of Salford aiming to develop a social enterprise project working towards the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals.

We won the title of Most Improved Team at the Enactus UK National Expo awards ceremony in early April 2021. The award was in recognition of the rapid progress made in growing the society and for defying the odds by creating and delivering a totally new and successful national-standard project in a very short space of time, despite all of the North West’s lockdown restrictions.

Thank you so much for speaking with us Amira, you’ve certainly been very busy winning all these awards and we wish you every success in the future!

Find out more about how our undergraduate Business and Management courses can help you achieve your goals.