We are inviting high quality applications to a special call of the internal research support fund. A condition of this call is that awards must be spent by 31 July 2018. The form can be found on Research development website, here.
Form and Guidance Notes
This form enables you to apply for internal research funding, which supports a range of activity based on the following criteria:
- Sustainability of research, e.g. demonstrably leading to further research bids, collaborative projects, significant publications, or access to new research funds;
- The contribution that the application will make to the research strategy of both the Research Centre / School and wider University;
- Evidence of the applicant’s research and career ambitions.
What can be Funded?
The Research Support Fund will support a range of research-related activity such as participation at conferences of international standing, the preparation of large-scale bids (in general over £150,000, depending on the discipline) for external research funding, or lead to outputs of REFable quality. It will cover direct costs such as travel and accommodation, teaching time buy-out and research assistance, and conducting preparatory research trials. Under normal circumstances 50% matched funding must be evidenced, either from internal or external sources (above 50% matched funding will be at the discretion of the review panel, except for conference participation). There are limit to what funds are available and conference participation will be capped at £750 and for other activity such as bidding development or a pilot project a maximum of £3,000. There is no set format for your visit or project and examples of activity that could be funded include:
- Undertaking small-scale or pilot projects that will lead to the submission of larger research bids.
- Presenting at conferences or similar events that are of international standing.
- Research at archives and libraries (or other similar institutions), both UK and overseas.
- Projects incorporating a research mobility component and leading to a research bid or output.
- Specialised equipment (that is non-standard to what the University provides).
- Small-scale buy-out of teaching.
- Research assistance.
Please provide sufficient information in your application to allow the panel team to fully consider your application. All applications will be scored and ranked based on scientific, strategic merit and value for money. Applications that contain insufficient detail are unlikely to be funded.
How to Apply
The deadline for this Special Call is Wednesday 25 April 2018.
In line with financial regulations, all awarded funds must be spent by 31 July 2018. You will be notified of the outcome within 2 weeks of these deadlines. Applications should be completed on the attached form and emailed to Deborah Woodman, R&E Development Officer via RIemail@example.com.
All applicants will be notified within 2 weeks from the call deadline date on the outcome of their application. All successful applicants will be required to submit a short report on the final outcome(s) from receiving internal funding, which should be submitted to: