My name is Hannah and I’m a final year student on the BA (Hons) Photography programme.

How would you describe your studio practice before the coronavirus pandemic/enforced lockdown?

I would best describe my studio practice before lockdown as experimental, consistent and playful. I often explored alternative processes such as laser cutting images onto chocolate and printing images onto unconventional materials such as balloons. I found that through consistently trying new processes and ways to create this aided my growth throughout the course and allowed me to push the boundaries on what it is to be a photographer.

Furthermore, to capture imagery, I often used the equipment store to experiment and gain experience using different types of camera equipment. This included DSLR cameras, Film cameras, polaroids, flatbed scanners, flash guns and medium format cameras. This allowed me to grow my skillset and expand on my creative outlets.

In addition to this, for my studio practice, I frequently worked with models to create photographic imagery. This allowed me to grow my communication skills and experiment on producing work that aligns with my interest in the fashion industry. For my photography shoots with models, I often worked within a studio as this allowed me to test different lighting set ups, alternate outfits and trial out make up looks to best suit the intention of the shoot.

Please describe your studio environment at home

My studio environment at home continues to be experimental and playful. I have made use of an at home printer scanner which I often use to scan images in a creative way. I have also explored different ways I can manipulate my camera lens in order to create unique imagery with using only my phone. I have further continued to use my own cameras such as my polaroid and film camera.

My studio environment also considers location-based shoots as I have a field nearby my house which I go on to take my daily exercise. Sometimes I use this time to shoot on this location with my Mum as my model.

How has the coronavirus pandemic changed your studio practice? 

The Coronavirus pandemic altered the amount of experimentation I can do due to limited freedom and resources. However, it has been both challenging and rewarding to overcome these obstacles and explore new processes which I may have overlooked before the Coronavirus pandemic. 

Have you had to be resourceful in order to source materials? 

I have had to be resourceful by using an at home printer scanner rather than a professional flatbed scanner. I have also had to use my phone and resources such as social media filters to experiment with manipulating imagery.

I have used materials such as Vaseline to create an altered effect on my iPhone camera and I further used a Fisheye lens on my phone rather than a wide-angle lens on a DSLR camera.

Have you had cause to call upon friend/family members (people with whom you are sharing lockdown) to help and assist you in the making of your work? 

I luckily had my Mum as my model during lockdown and have found it has aided my work and the development of my concept further. This has been a new and rewarding experience for me and my Mum as it allowed us to work together in a creative way.

Have you thought about how you are able to share your work with others/the creative industries sector, and engage an audience in the light of the pandemic? 

I am planning on building a new website for my final imagery to hopefully share with others and the creative industry. I further believe our final work may be exhibited online this year which our audience will hopefully be able to engage with. 

What are you looking forward to doing most one we emerge from the lockdown? 

When I emerge from lockdown, I am looking forward to hopefully graduating and creating an exhibition with all my fellow students. I am also excited to see everyone from my course and celebrate coming out of lockdown.