Meet Jessica Davies, 23, who dreamt of a career in environmental consultancy and took the first step with our MSc in Town and Country Planning.

Exterior image of the new science, engineering and environment building

Hi Jess! It would be great to hear about what you enjoyed during your course. What were the best bits?

The lecturers on my course, specifically Lesley, Paul, Scott and Mike, were amazing. They created links between certain modules which helped the course as a whole feel more cohesive. I also enjoyed the structure in which the course was run – the whole thing just made me feel confident in what I was learning.

How has the support been throughout your MSc in Town and Country Planning?

I have been supported continually by my lecturers both during and outside lecture time. My lecturers have always made me feel as though I can ask questions and are always looking to aid my academic progression. This includes individual sessions regarding assessment tasks along with informal chats about my personal views of the modules. I also made connections through guest speakers which facilitated the completion of my dissertation survey.

What are your future plans after completing your course, and how do you think your course has helped you prepare for those?

I have secured a planning role in a private environmental consultancy. My next step will be becoming chartered with the RTPI. The course has been able to supply me with the relevant knowledge to begin my career and feel confident in the work I am producing professionally. The MSc in Town and Country Planning is thorough and filled with quality material that makes the lecturers engaging and valuable experiences.

What advice would you give to someone thinking about studying MSc Town and Country Planning?

I would say, become familiar with recent policies and politics as it’s all intertwined within planning. Gain some knowledge regarding environmental assessment as they are also closely linked to the planning realm, especially in the working world of planning.