Qin Li’s Self Portraits

“I am a visual communication student from China. Since 2019 I have been drawing self-portraits of others in summer vacations. The practice also led me to explore more meaning in visual communication.

I find a strong link between visual communication and my motivation. Visual communication provides me an opportunity that I explore illustration, design, and feminism through an academic methods and collaborate with teachers and students. In addition, a wide range of workshops such as print, book, fibre, and writing workshop can be attended in my Salford course, which catered to my need for skills.

I sell Cute Cartoon self-portraits. The first reason is that I have the confidence and ability to continue to develop my self-portrait work. Because I make many practice on my self-portrait in China, and I receive good feedback. The second reason is that self-portrait is worth to be seen as a cosy decoration or gifts for people. The final outcome has a connection with personal memory and life, which is meaningful. Finally, I enjoy to draw others’ face with my illustration style. Although each portrait takes 30-50 minutes to complete, I am always happier than tired.”

To get in touch with Qin Li, please email AM-Engagement@salford.ac.uk to be connected.