Emma is responsible for coordinating the delivery of the environmental sustainability goals and priorities across Estates and Facilities. Her remit is to maintain the ISO 14001 (environmental), ISO 50001 (energy) and Eco-Campus certifications, ensure legal compliance and contribute to the University Environmental Sustainability Plan and Net Zero Carbon Target.
BSc (Hons) in Natural Sciences, focussing on chemistry and an MSc and PhD from the University of Salford having recently returned to the University after 25 years in commercial consultancy. Her last role was as a Technical Director at SLR Consulting Ltd. She has spent most of her career working with management systems – mainly environmental but also quality, energy and occupational health & safety.
- Perseverance – things don’t always go to plan, it takes time to find you first job in this field.Don’t give up.
- Organisation – being able to manage large amounts of information and data is key. There are now so many ways to communicate it’s necessary to be very organised to meet expectations.
- Reliability – don’t let others down, you never know when you might come across them again in your career.
- Specialise – find something you enjoy and are good at, then set yourself a goal to know as much as anyone else in that field.
- Be Daring – push yourself out of your comfort zone and don’t be afraid to make changes.
- Acknowledge your mistakes – keep others in the picture and let people know early of any problems.
Follow us on social media for more Green Careers content, tips and resources.