Here at the University of Salford, we have a thriving international community. With Manchester’s Chinatown right on our doorstep, it’s no surprise that there is a large Chinese community in the area too. As Chinese New Year celebrations begin to get underway, we spoke to some of our Chinese students to find out how they’ll be celebrating.

Can you recommend any Chinese New Year events to go to in Manchester?

Joe:
Go to Chinatown where there is lanterns and loads of restaurants.

Karen:
I heard there will be a host of celebration events during the Chinese New Year period in Chinatown. For example, the traditional Dragon Parade with a funfair, street food market, as well as some decorations. It might be a good idea to visit Chinatown and experience the atmosphere.

Patrick:
Normally, Chinatown is the best place you can go. There are some traditional Chinese New Year events, such as a Lion Dance show.

Chinese New Year celebrations in Manchester

Which restaurants would you recommend?

Joe:
Peking Duck House is close to University and offers really good and traditional Chinese food.

Karen:
I think for Chinese New Year, Chinese food would be the most representative. So any Chinese restaurants in Manchester are worth going to, such as those in Chinatown. Some of the restaurants have good Chinese dishes like those back home. Once in a while, I can still enjoy some good Chinese food during my time in the UK.

Patrick:
Peking Duck House is the closest restaurant to University, also it is one of my favourite restaurants in Manchester. There are also other very good restaurants in Chinatown. You can go to any of those restaurants and have really good Chinese food, which includes some traditional Chinese New Year food.

How can you celebrate at home instead of going out?

Joe:
Chinese New Year is traditionally celebrated at home where friends or family will all help to cook a meal.

Karen:
It would be a good idea to try some turnip cake or “nian gao” (Chinese New Year rice cake) to eat at home as they are traditional foods and may be available in Chinese supermarkets. You can also have some decorations in your home, such as lanterns, door couplets, paper cuttings of plants or animals, blooming flowers and kumquat trees. These are all symbols of a prosperous New Year, good luck and happiness in the coming year. You can also have dinner together with your family or friends.

Patrick:
I normally stay at home to celebrate Chinese New Year with my friends. We sit together and make dumplings and stick couplets to the doors. Then we cook some traditional Chinese food and watch the annual Spring Festival Gala.

Traditional Chinese lanterns

How do you personally plan to celebrate Chinese New Year?

Joe:
I will be celebrating with friends from Leeds and Sheffield and going to Chinatown for food.

Karen:
I am planning on either cooking my own dinner or having dinner in Chinatown. I may also talk with my family.

Patrick:
I will be staying at home and cooking with friends.

Do your family have any special traditions for Chinese New Year?

Joe:
The most important thing is getting together with family and celebrating the previous year of hard work. We also receive lucky money.

Karen:
Usually our family and relatives will gather in one home and have dinner together. We will also visit other relatives’ homes to chat and eat turnip cake and “nian gao.” My grandma usually makes her own turnip cake and nian gao and we all love them so much. We also have a box on the dinner table, which is especially for Chinese New Year, filled with lots of candies, sweets and nuts such as pistachios.

Patrick:
We always have similar traditions to other families, such as lucky money. When we make dumplings, my parents will put a few small coins into some of the dumplings. If someone eats the dumpling with coins inside, it means this person will be very lucky in the new year.

Lucky money

Thanks to Joe, Karen and Patrick for sharing their traditions and upcoming plans with us. To find out what else is happening in Manchester for Chinese New Year, visit Manchester Evening News.