We caught up with BSc Business Management Studies graduate, now Corporate Banking Manager, Joseph Pritchard, who discusses his aspirations before starting university, what he is doing now in his career and how The University of Salford helped him  to realise where he wanted to go in his career. 

Photo of Joseph Pritchard
Photo of Joseph Pritchard

What were your ambitions before you started University? What was your dream career?

All I knew was that I wanted to have a successful career, possibly in finance. 

Why did you choose Salford Business School to help achieve your goals? 

I liked the campus feel to the university and found the open day welcoming. The staff treated me as an individual rather than a number.

Where are you now? What has your career path looked like?

I have had several roles at Handelsbanken including Business Support Cash Management, Documentation Management, Cash Management & Payments Specialist and Corporate Banking Manager which is the role I am in now. As a new Corporate Banking Manager in a branch, I have been employed to look after a portfolio of corporate and individual clients, looking after their needs as their relationship manager. I also onboard new clients under my portfolio who are also based within the Stockport and South East Manchester area. 

The best part of my role is looking after high net worth individuals and larger businesses and being able to meet their needs as well as acting as their trusted advisor when it comes to their finances and banking.

How did Salford Business School help you achieve your ambitions? 

I studied Business Management Studies which was a 4-year course with a year working in placement in year 3. 

The university introduced me to Handelsbanken (my current employer) through the placement meetings that took place every Tuesday in the Peel Building. I didn’t seek out a career in finance or banking but the opportunity I had was too good to miss. Because of this, I believe the University of Salford helped me to pursue the career in banking/ finance that I have now. 

I don’t think anything other than working a real job can prepare you for working life but I believe that elements of the course such as the freedom and self-responsibility and the need to complete certain assignments helped. 

Salford Business School and my course definitely helped me achieve my ambitions, I am very happy and proud of my achievements and where I am today.

Simply put, what now? What are your ambitions for the rest of your career? 

I have had the opportunity to work in Cash Management team again as the regions specialist, which sees me travelling quite a bit. I can see myself doing this role for a number of years now which may eventually open opportunities to working abroad in America at our New York branch. This would be a real adventure for my family and something we’ve talked about a lot.

What advice would you give to someone considering studying at Salford Business School?

Doing a year in industry was the best thing for me because I was able to apply the work I had done in industry to my final year. I also completed my dissertation on the banking industry as I was now experienced in this area. This made it so much more relatable, producing a better dissertation. 

Explore BSc Business Management

Explore our undergraduate business management courses