Stefanos Patelis is currently a BSc Business & Management student within the Salford Business School. Now on his academic placement with SALFOOD, I thought it was a great time to interview him about his degree, what he’s currently up to and what he wants to do in the future.

Hi Stefanos! Did you always want to go into the world of business?

Business was the only field that interested me enough to want to pursue my studies. I knew that when I got older I wanted to do creative things, and I felt that this course could help me accomplish that. I’ve now got a good foundation of knowledge of many aspects of the business world. Furthermore, I’m learning even more now I’m actually working in industry.

How is your course taught?

The business course is mostly theory based. We usually have three lectures a week and three seminars based on the lectures. During lectures, our lecturer explains the topic thoroughly. During the seminar, it becomes more practical. For example, in the “Principles of Accounting” module, we learned about a specific formula and the theory behind it, and would then get to practice applying the formula into real situations during the seminar.

What’s the best thing about the course?

I would say the best thing about my course is the flexibility it has given me. There are many seminars and lectures to choose from throughout the week, so it was easy to swap lectures to fit around my timetable and not lose out on important information. Of course, if you are also working while studying, this flexibility can be really helpful.

How has the course helped you for the future?

For the past three years, my course has given me a great insight into how the business world works. Modules such as, ‘Business Statistics’, ‘Accounting’, ‘Human Resource Management’ and ‘Economics’, have enriched my knowledge of the field and taught me the basics about how to handle significant amounts of data, staff, operational activities, budgeting, and much more.

Why did you choose the University of Salford?

I found that Salford Business School truly stands out compared to other universities. Then, I read some reviews of the course and saw that students seemed satisfied with their lecturers. I do value the lecturers a lot, as their knowledge and passion is what “shapes” the modules.

What advice would you give to students at Salford about placements?

I would say that they need to take advantage of the opportunities the university offers. A year in industry can help you realise what you want from your studies, and will make you more determined, focused, and organised. It’s great to get the chance to go into a company and learn, create, and produce things.

What are your plans for your remaining time at Salford?

I am currently completing my placement here on campus, working as a Student Engagement and Marketing Assistant for SALFOOD, until the end of August. I am planning to go on to my third year this September, so I can finally graduate. I also plan is to continue working in my field while studying.

How would you summarise your time at Salford?

It is hard to put everything just into a few words. You have to work hard at university but it makes your spare time that much more special. I’d say it’s important to get involved in activities, you build a lot of skills, get to have fun and meet new people. Make sure you check out SALFOOD and the Students’ Union.

What advice would you give to a new student?

Go out, make mistakes, follow your dreams, stay passionate, and never forget to love what you do. It might not pay back right away, but while you’re still in your 20s, all I would say is: invest in your future, now is the time to get the experience. I would strongly recommend taking a work placement, moreover the Study Abroad programme is a great experience if you are a bit adventurous and an explorer. You get to study in a different country and experience all that it has to offer.

Lastly, take advantage of all the help and advice that the University offers. For example,  go to myadvantage.salford.ac.uk and book an appointment for a CV review, or a LinkedIn profile review. It’s free!