BSc Business Information Technology (now named BSc Digital Business) is a degree for future digital business managers. Providing a balance between the exploration of management concepts and practical use of digital tools, the programme suits techies and budding entrepreneurs alike!

We caught up with Ramal Hassan, a Business Information Technology graduate, to find out about her experiences on the programme and where her degree is taking her next.

What stood out about BSc Business Information Technology at Salford Business School?

When I decided I wanted to do IT, I felt as though I wasn’t just an overall technical person. So, I wanted to do something with a business mix. I looked at other universities and none provided the business and IT mix that Salford had. When I checked the modules, I found that the programme was exactly what I was looking for – just the right balance between business and IT.

What do you think are the most useful things you’ve taken from the programme?

One of the most important skills I’ve developed during my degree is time management. I’ve had a lot of assignments on at the same time as projects, but with the help of my tutors, I’ve learned how to handle both effectively. The assistance I had from my lecturers really gave me the motivation and confidence to push through any challenges I faced, and I was able to take this attitude and the skills I developed into my work placement.

What did you focus on in your final year BIT project?

The topic for my BIT was a really easy decision: after I worked for a year with IBM on my Professional Experience Year, I came across chatbots. Whilst interviewing for a graduate role, we discussed artificial intelligence, chatbots and how different businesses are using this new technology. When it came to choosing a topic for my BIT, I decided that chatbots would be a different, interesting and current subject for my project.

Because of my link with IBM, I’ve been able to return to them with questions about chatbots and use their responses in my assignments.

Tell us a little about your Professional Experience Year

Since I first realised I wanted a career in IT, IBM has always stuck in my head as a place it would be brilliant to do a placement year.

Because of the blend of business and IT, a lot of the modules on the programme came in handy on my placement. The business knowledge I gained at university was useful in the more managerial aspects of my placement and the technical skills that I developed on the course, like coding, programming and building websites were really valuable.

Again, the blend of the business and IT modules on the programme was extremely beneficial. If I had done an IT degree on its own, I don’t believe I would have had the business and people skills to make the most of my placement opportunity and progress further.

What challenges did you face during your degree?

Managing deadlines can be difficult and sometimes you find that you are juggling a number of assignments at once. However, through support and feedback from my lecturers, I was able to get through it and achieved a first-class degree overall.

Tell us about your part-time job

I was contacted by the guys at Pay Justice after they spoke with one of my lecturers, Alex Fenton, at the most recent Creative Entrepreneur event. Alex had told them about my chatbot ideas and the project I was working on as part of my degree. They were interested in hearing about this and invited me for an interview. Around 15 minutes into our meeting, and after having reviewed my CV, they offered me a job as a Chatbot Architect.

What are your career hopes for when you graduate?

I’ve secured a role with IBM as an IT consultant, which means I will be moving to London in June of this year! I’ve always wanted to work for IBM and it’s finally come true!

Thank you to Ramal for sharing her experiences at Salford Business School. If like Ramal, you have an interest in technology and business, BSc Digital Business could help you turn your passion into a career.