This week, from the 18th to the 24th May 2020, is Mental Health Awareness Week. Here in the Social Media Team we’ve teamed up with lecturers from our Counselling and Psychotherapy department to spread the message about how crucial it is to recognise that your mental health is just as important as your physical health.
As this year’s campaign falls in the middle of a period of lockdown for much of the world due to the COVID-19 crisis, we know that for many of us, our usual coping mechanisms to protect and sustain good mental health may not be readily available. With this year’s theme of kindness, however, we have been inspired by examples of how people have adapted to look after themselves, and the mental health of others.
So, what we want to know is – what have you been up to during lockdown which has boosted your own or someone else’s mental health?
We want to share ideas and inspiration for things we can do to help us maintain good mental health, particularly during lockdown. Share a snap of something that has helped you through with @salforduni Twitter or Instagram and you could be in with a chance of winning a £25 Amazon voucher. Here are some ideas of the types of things we’re looking for…
- Do you have a favourite piece of clothing or jewellery that means a lot to you when you wear it?
- Do you have a favourite memory?
- Maybe a certain family member, friend or pet always lifts your spirits? Show us how you’ve connected remotely.
- Is there a hobby that you have taken up? Or a new form of exercise?
- Or, to tie in with this year’s #MentalHealthAwarenessWeek theme of “kindness”, maybe you have helped someone recently which has boosted your own or someone else’s mental health?
To take part, just follow the 3️⃣ simple steps below:
- Take a photo of something that’s meaningful to you, and represents you looking after your own or someone else’s mental health during lockdown.
- Share your pic on either Twitter or Instagram (either on your story or in the grid). If you have a private account, make sure to DM us your entry!
- Tag in @salforduni and use the hashtag #SnapHappyMH.
Things to know:
- The competition runs until 12pm on Friday 22nd May 2020.
- To enter, you must be a current student at the University of Salford or have applied to study with us.
- Winner will be announced on Wednesday 27th May with a prize of a £25 Amazon voucher.
- Entries will be judged based on creativity, innovation and inspiration, so we highly encourage you to add captions to really tell your story.
- Submitted photos may be used on the University of Salford’s social media accounts. By entering the competition you are giving your consent for your photos to be used for these purposes.
- We can’t wait for you guys to tell us your stories! Remember to keep an eye out for the winners next week!
If you’re struggling, we are here for you.
Details of support services:
Wellbeing and Counselling / askUS: 0161 295 0023