We asked you what you’re proud of achieving this year – no matter how big or small – and we received some amazing responses. We’ve listed them below because we are SO proud of you!

There are a lot of stories featured below, but you can click straight through to the ones you’re most interested in. Congratulations to everyone for all your hard work this year!

Carrie, BA (Hons) English Multidiscipline

Academically, my proudest achievement this year has been achieving a 75% grade for my written short story, which I absolutely loved writing! My proudest personal achievement has been juggling being a full-time Mum to my 14- and 10-year old son and daughter, whilst studying, running my home and continuing to build my physical strength through yoga, which helps my chronic lower back condition- Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction. I have got up in the mornings with the mindset that what I’m doing now will contribute to a future where I can work from home comfortably, which will aid my recovery from this chronic condition. I am proud of myself as at the age of 38 years old, I am learning something new every day. It just shows there is no age limit when you are determined to achieve your goals and dreams.

A polaroid picture of student, Carrie over a background of fireworks. Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Carrie BA (Hons) English Multidiscipline'

Mark, MA Wildlife Documentary Production

One of the most impactful assignments I had this year revolved around exploring the profound bond between a human and an animal. Inspired by the genuine relationship between a homeless man and his loyal canine companion, I embarked on a mission to document their story. Little did I know that their tale would touch the hearts of many, prompting me to initiate a crowdfunding campaign to support them.

Driven by the incredible authenticity of their connection, I sought the assistance of a compassionate community. Together, we collected nearly £2,000 within a span of just two weeks. This generous sum was thoughtfully allocated, benefiting the homeless man, a charity dedicated to caring for dogs belonging to those experiencing homelessness, and even providing meals for other individuals facing similar hardships.

Among my most fulfilling moments this year was the day I presented the funds to Justin, the homeless man. Witnessing his overwhelming gratitude and hearing him share how this donation had completely transformed his life was truly humbling. It was an honour to play a role in helping him regain his sense of purpose and enthusiasm for living, as he expressed his newfound excitement to thrive rather than merely survive.

A polaroid picture of student, Mark over a background of fireworks. Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Mark, MA Wildlife Documentary Production'

Allie, BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy

My proudest achievement of this year was training for and competing in Hyrox, a functional fitness event consisting of a total of eight kilometres of running and eight workout stations. Hyrox is known as an accessible but tough race and signing up for it gave me a goal to keep me motivated in my training. I have been going to the gym and lifting weights for a few years, but I used to hate running even though as a physiotherapy student I was well aware of its benefits.

I had never taken part in any competitive fitness events before, so I was a little anxious on the day, but I really enjoyed the sense of camaraderie and sharing my sense of achievement with others. Hyrox gave me the opportunity to push my limits and strive to be the healthiest and fittest version of myself

A polaroid picture of student, Allie over a background of fireworks. Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Allie BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy'

Massuma, LLB (Hons) Law

Completing my degree! I am due to graduate this summer after a tough first year in lockdown and being a mature and independent student. Despite the struggles, I put my head down and persevered. Now, I will be able to continue onto the next stage of my education, which is the Bar Training Course. My parents will be so proud, they have been waiting for this moment.

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Massuma LLB (Hons) Law' over a background of fireworks and stars

Dheer, MSc Digital Marketing

My proudest moment this year was to come to a different country to study and be self-dependent.

A polaroid picture of student, Dheer over a background of fireworks. Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Dheer, MSc Digital Marketing'

Abdulrasaq, MSc Project Management

My proudest moment is coming all the way from my beloved country, Nigeria to study abroad at the University of Salford, Manchester.

A polaroid picture of student, Abdulrasaq over a background of fireworks. Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Abdulrasaq MSc Project Management'

Amina, BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science

I passed my must pass practical exam, which I am really proud of!

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Amina BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science' over a background of fireworks and stars

Shansha, MSc Construction Management

Graduating from high school, college or any educational program is a significant achievement that represents years of hard work and dedication.

A polaroid picture of student, Shansha over a background of fireworks. Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Shansha MSc Construction Management'

Lauren, BSc (Hons) Nursing/ RN Children and Young People

My proudest achievement of this year is being accepted on the trip with the Destination Florida charity as a student nurse where I get to take a group of 70 amazing children with life changing/life limiting illness to Florida for one week in September.

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Lauren BSc (Hons) Nursing / RN Children and Young People' over a background of fireworks and stars

Junona, MArch Architecture

I faced a great challenge of having to work full-time and study at master’s level at the same time. I was very worried, but still had faith in myself and thought if I don’t try, I won’t know if I would manage both. The staff couldn’t be more supportive and encouraging, they accommodated all my needs, guided me throughout the year and never let me down. I initially thought to myself – if I pass, that would be enough, considering the amount of pressure I put on myself. With the support of my lecturers I managed so far to get to a Merit level and am aiming to do my best to get a Distinction at the end of next year.

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Junona MArch Architecture' over a background of fireworks and stars

Sibo, MA Public Relations

My proudest achievement this year, among many others, was getting to watch the club of my heart, Manchester United at Old Trafford. I am from Sihhoye, a small village in Eswatini, in Southern Africa. I have been a United fan all my life but watching the team live always felt like a far-fetched dream. However, being accepted to the University of Salford and living in Salford, just 30 minutes away from Old Trafford, suddenly changed all that. And, on 3 January 2023, I went to Old Trafford to watch Manchester United vs Bournemouth in the Premier League. Everything about that day will forever be etched in my memory. Since then, I have been able to watch 15 more Manchester United games. This is a reminder that dreams do come true, even for people from little known villages like Sihhoye.

A polaroid picture of student, Sibo over a background of fireworks. Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Sibo MA Public Relations'

Beth, BSc (Hons) Nursing/ RN Adult

My proudest achievement this year is nearly completing my third year nursing degree with high grades through the year and having successfully completed placement, gaining a job. While I struggle academically with dyslexia and anxiety and have had a very difficult home life, I’m very proud of where I am today.

A polaroid picture of student, Beth over a background of fireworks. Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Beth BSc (Hons) Nursing / RN Adult'

Neelima, MSc Management

I reached here in mid of extreme winter, but coped with it very well. I was completely new to the education system, somehow scored 67% in my first module. But I improved in the second and scored 82% and it increased my confidence level. I got selected as a student mentor. I gained some good and healthy friendship groups. I enjoyed the beauty of university, Global Talent Week and good food.

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Neelima MSc Management' over a background of fireworks and stars

Abbey, BSc (Hons) Criminology

My proudest achievement from this year is actually finishing University. Back in 2021 I was in hospital and almost died from a suicide attempt and I never thought I’d see the day where I’d actually complete uni. Now I am due to graduate and the happiest I have been since that time and I couldn’t be more proud of myself for doing what I once believed was impossible.

A polaroid picture of student, Abbey over a background of fireworks. Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Abbey BSc (Hons) Criminology

Khizra, PhD student

I was able to publish an article in The Conversation and also secured a funding for FHEA application. All thanks to my supervisors and the University of Salford.

A polaroid picture of student, Khizra over a background of fireworks. Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Khizra PhD student'

Ade, BSc (Hons) Nursing / RN Mental Health

My proudest achievement is to pass being a Judicious Autonomous Practitioner (JCAP) module. It was tough, but thank God I made it!

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Ade BSc (Hons)' over a background of fireworks and stars

Aoife, BSc (Hons) Psychology

Passing my exams despite my anxiety condition that caused a lot of health problems this year. Couldn’t have done it without my friends and the support of staff.

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Aoife BSc (Hons) Psychology' over a background of fireworks and stars

Paul, MA Nursing (Mental Health)

This year, my proudest achievement was successfully completing a challenging clinical placement at a mental health hospital. As an international mental health nursing student, I faced cultural and educational adjustments, but my dedication to patient care drove me to thrive. I built strong connections with patients, even helping a previously resistant individual engage in their treatment plan. Additionally, I volunteered as a peer mentor, supporting fellow international students in their transition to university life. These accomplishments have fueled both my personal and professional growth, inspiring me to continue pursuing excellence in my field.

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Paul MA Nursing (Mental Health)' over a background of fireworks and stars

Kay, BSc (Hons) Marine Biology

Learning many new skills alone outside of lectures in order to find answers and complete my dissertation to my best ability, achieving high grades, and simply pushing through the workload despite volumes of personal stress. I honestly don’t know how I even managed it. But I did, and I’m proud of that. We are all stronger than we think we are, and it’s the challenges we face that show us our true strengths and abilities. I’m very grateful for it all.

A polaroid picture of student, Kay over a background of fireworks. Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Kay BSc (Hons) Marine Biology'

Aloysios, BSc (Hons) Nursing / RN Mental Health

In the course of this year, as a mental health student nurse, one of my proudest achievements was helping a patient struggling with depression, regain hope and purpose in her life. When she first came to our facility, she was deeply depressed and had lost interest in the things she used to enjoy. Through empathy and understanding, I provided a safe space for her to express her feelings and worked on developing a trusting relationship.

Over time, we explored the root causes of her depression and identified coping strategies tailored to her needs. I encouraged her to join group therapy, where she found support and realised she wasn’t alone in her struggles. Witnessing her transformation as she reconnected with her passions and decided to pursue a career in art therapy filled me with immense pride.

Knowing that I played a role in her recovery journey reaffirmed my dedication to mental health nursing and the impact we can have on individuals’ lives.

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Aloysious BSc (Hons) Nursing / RN Mental Health' over a background of fireworks and stars

Mohammad, BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science

My proudest achievement was getting a high grade for a presentation I created and presented to my tutorial group. This was a daunting experience for me as I had not done anything like this before. I was nervous before giving the presentation but once I started I gained confidence and ended up giving a good presentation along with the rest of my team.

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Mohammad BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science' over a background of fireworks and stars

Muhammad, MSc Data Science

I personally polished my technical skills such as Machine Learning, Deep Learning and Databases. I have far better skills than previously I had.

A polaroid picture of student, Muhammad over a background of fireworks. Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Muhammad'

Melissa, BSc (Hons) Nursing Children and Young People

This year I am proud of myself for getting through first year. After all the stress, I have really enjoyed my time! Accessing loads of new things I have never done before due to placements. I have also passed all my exams and assignments and I am really looking forward to year 2. I have met some amazing new people and teachers.

A polaroid picture of student, Melissa over a background of fireworks. Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Melissa BSc (Hons) Nursing Children and Young People'

Emma, PhD in Contemporary History

After a turbulent journey through my academic pursuits, which unfortunately had to include an interruption of study due to mental health issues during my undergraduate program and an extension during my current degree due to COVID-19, this week I submitted my thesis for the completion of my doctorate and will viva shortly. At one stage, it was a likely prospect that I would not sit a single GCSE exam, and I’m incredibly proud I have able to come back to achieve such academic heights.

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Emma PhD in Contemporary History' over a background of fireworks and stars

Poppy, BA (Hons) Music: Popular Music & Recording

Putting myself out there to make more friends and try to include everyone. I’ve achieved my best ever academic marks and wouldn’t have without the help of my friends.

A polaroid picture of student, Poppy over a background of fireworks. Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Poppy BA (Hons) Music: Popular Music and Recording'

Anonymous

I was able to complete a 10-week placement in a hospital which was very hard as I am in my first year and my first placement. I did personal care on patients, blood pressures and took patients to have x-rays and MRI scans. I was scared at first, but my confidence grew and I managed to do tasks independently. I have autism and ADHD.

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Congrats!' over a background of fireworks and stars

Anonymous

My proudest moment not only passing my exams but exceeding in them. I’m proud of this, not just because of my grades but because I did this whilst moving home to a completely different city which was really stressful [as well as] balancing an ex-unhealthy relationship. Times were tough but I didn’t give up and used every free time I got to study, which all paid off in the end.

Courtney, BSc (Hons) Social Work

I came to the University after taking a few gap years due to anxiety. I gained the confidence with the help of my course managers and fellow students and have now completed my first year and met some amazing people! I am so excited to use my skills for placement and continue my journey.

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Courtney BSc (Hons) Social Work' over a background of fireworks and stars

Umm e, MSc Public Health

As a public health student, my proudest achievement this year was successfully completing all my assignments and studying while taking care of my two kids without any external help. Coming from Pakistan, where societal support systems can be limited, this accomplishment holds great significance for me. Balancing the demands of academia and parenthood was an immense challenge, but it taught me invaluable lessons in time management, resilience, and prioritisation.

I developed efficient routines, creating a structured environment for my children and myself. I meticulously planned study schedules around their needs, ensuring quality time for both education and family. I utilised online resources and sought virtual support from peers and professors to enhance my learning experience. Additionally, I practiced self-care and stress management techniques to maintain my physical and mental well-being during this demanding period.

This achievement not only demonstrates my determination and perseverance but also reinforces my commitment to improving public health. It is a testament to the power of adaptability and resourcefulness, qualities essential in the field of public health, where addressing challenges and finding innovative solutions are vital to the wellbeing of communities.

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Umm E MSc Public Health' over a background of fireworks and stars

Sheba, PhD in Media & Culture

In the bustling city of Salford, England, I, Sheba Tayo-Garbson, a PhD student in Media & Cultural Studies from Nigeria, proudly recount my most significant accomplishment this year. Despite joining the University of Salford in January 2023, I swiftly found my place within the University community, immersing myself in a wealth of knowledge and experiences.

Throughout this brief period, I have embarked on an extraordinary learning journey, constantly challenging myself to absorb as much as possible. The library has become my sanctuary, with countless books and journals feeding my curiosity. Engaging in thought-provoking discussions during seminars and workshops has allowed me to refine my perspectives and broaden my academic horizons.

What truly fills me with pride, however, is the personal growth I have experienced. From the moment I stepped foot on campus, I embraced the diversity around me, forging connections with students and professors from various backgrounds. In sharing my Nigerian heritage and learning from the rich tapestry of cultures, I have gained a deeper understanding of our interconnected world

As I reflect on this transformative journey, I am filled with gratitude for the opportunities that have shaped me into a more resilient, empathetic, and knowledgeable individual. Armed with a newfound passion for research and a desire to make a difference, I eagerly anticipate the future, knowing that these five months have laid a strong foundation for my success as a scholar and global citizen.

A polaroid picture of student, Sheba over a background of fireworks. Text reads 'We're celebrating you! PhD in Media & Culture'

Aiza, BSc (Hons) Accounting and Finance

My proudest achievements from this year were my two exams, in which I received the highest grades.

I received a grade of 96 in the financial management and accounting module and a grade of 97 in the business and accounting module. These exam grades were my proudest achievements because, during college, I studied BTEC and didn’t have any exams. So I had to study and practice a lot.

I remember feeling nervous before the exams, but I also felt confident in my abilities, thanks to all the studying and preparation I had done. When I received my grades, I was over the moon! It was such a great feeling to know that all my hard work had paid off.

Getting such high grades in my exams has given me a huge boost of confidence, and it’s made me even more motivated to keep working hard and achieving my goals. I’m excited to see what the future holds, and I know that I’ll be able to tackle any challenges that come my way.

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Aiza BSc (Hons) Accounting and Finance' over a background of fireworks and stars

Hannah, BA (Hons) Television and Radio Production

My proudest achievement from my final year was hearing myself on BBC Radio 1 Minute of Me. In my minute I focused on my experience as a creator on social media and believing in myself. I voiced how we are all unique and we should embrace that!

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Hannah BA (Hons) Television and Radio Production' over a background of fireworks and stars

Fabienne, MSc Psychology and Coercive Control

I got Covid in March 2020, and became one of the lucky ones who never recovered. Learning to live with a disability like Long Covid has changed my life, and beginning a master’s program with a disability was scary and potentially foolish!  But it’s been wonderful. Getting to learn and study has added so much joy to my life and has encouraged me that there is still so much I can do despite my chronic illness. I’ve loved every minute of it and I’m so proud to have completed my first year!

A polaroid picture of student, Fabienne over a background of fireworks. Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Fabienne MSc Psychology and Coercive Control'

Taiye, MSc Project Management

I have always dreamt of having my masters degree in the UK. Having been given an opportunity to study here is a great achievement to me. My school of my dreams is the University of Salford. Getting admitted to the school and also being able to make it and come all the way from Nigeria to Salford University is a great achievement to me.

Hence, I get to meet great people and friends from all walks of life. All this feels like a dream to me, coupled with the fact that my lecturers and mentors made studying interesting and livelier to me. I am also happy that I made a right decision by choosing to study in UK because I have [improved] both intellectually and academically. All this knowledge gained is a plus for me as it will be an added advantage for me when I get back to my home country.

Therefore, I can proudly say my greatest and proudest achievement this year is choosing my postgraduate study at the University of Salford.

A polaroid picture of student, Taiye over a background of fireworks. Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Taiye MSc Project Management'

Dylan, BA (Hons) Film Production

As a mature student going back to study after 32 years of working, I never thought I’d get the opportunity to do something I love. Starting university after so long is a daunting experience, it’s an academic rollercoaster ride of learning new things.

You will be challenged, to face the things you never thought you knew.

The tutors are welcoming, friendly and very helpful. I’ve completed my first year with my eyes wide open, and it’s taught me so much creatively. My proudest achievement is passing my first year. With other like-minded people, you can achieve anything you desire. I’m now onto a career path of my choosing and I always remember to have fun along the way.

I said to my girlfriend when I first started studying that, “Going to university and doing what I love, it’s a place I can finally call home.”

Life just keeps getting better.

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Dylan BA (Hons) Film Production' over a background of fireworks and stars

Steven, PhD in Biomechanics

I finished data collection for the final study of my PhD just two days before I got married! I had to rearrange data collection last minute due to rail strikes that would have prevented my participants from attending the testing session which would have really scuppered me as I’d just spent the previous six weeks running an intervention with them! It was a huge relief to get it completed and a big life milestone for me!

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Steven PhD in Biomechanics' over a background of fireworks and stars

Olushola, MSc Safety, Health and Environment

I am proud that I successfully completed my first and second semester modules with merits on the eight modules. It was not easy combining relocation and entirely new climatic conditions. Other barriers were social and cultural differences. I am elated that this didn’t affect my grades though, I know I could have done better in my natural habitat. However, it was a challenge that I “took,” I saw and I conquered.

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Olushola MSc Safety, Health and Environment' over a background of fireworks and stars

Finn, BA (Hons) Creative Writing (Multidiscipline)

Over my first year at Salford, I have achieved several things I am proud of from passing my first-year modules to being able to return to gym and slowly start to return to sports after a serious knee injury. But the thing that I am most proud of is passing my Japanese stage one. I am a creative writing student so doing the Japanese on the side took me out my comfort zone, but I always wanted to learn a language and I want to travel to Japan one day myself. I made lots of friends doing these extra lessons outside my normal modules and even met my girlfriend. The progress I made with the language is something I am very proud of. I recommend all to give learning a language a go.

A polaroid picture of student, Finn over a background of fireworks. Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Finn BA (Hons) Creative Writing (Multidiscipline)'

Hottie, BSc (Hons) Nursing / RN Adult

Studying in a different environment and getting my certificate in less than one year. Back home in Africa to achieve a BSc Nursing it takes four years. But I came in and got it in less than one year. I believe I have been able to break one of my biggest storms. I’m proud of myself, initially it wasn’t easy but with time I coped and now I’m an expert.

A polaroid picture of student, Hottie over a background of fireworks. Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Hottie BSc (Hons) Nursing / RN Adult

Darlington, BSc (Hons) Nursing Studies

My first day at the University of Salford was scary to me because I found myself in a new environment, mixed with students and staff from all over the world. I didn’t know how to navigate the roads to locate my lecture hall easily, but I approached a security staff member who assisted me without hesitation. When I got to class, I suddenly felt so welcomed and caught up easily because the lecturer was amazing and the classroom was warm as well.

It didn’t just end there, I had to go to the Library to do some online work. The liberians are ready to guide students, the library is well equipped with books, comfortable zones to study and computer systems and all is easily accessible.

I am pleased to have the privilege of being a student of this noble institution and I will definitely miss it as I’m rounding up with my program.

Long Live Students of Salford,
Long Live Lecturers of Salford,
Long Live Management of Salford,
Long Live University of Salford.

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Darlington BSc (Hons) Nursing Studies' over a background of fireworks and stars

Anonymous

I was able to conduct an independent research study in fulfilment of my undergraduate dissertation. I worked with an established non-profit organisation and, throughout my project, interviewed people who are most vulnerable in our society. I have put long hours into that research and I am proud that it paid off. I proved to myself that I can become a good researcher and that it might not be a crazy idea to pursue an academic career.

Mitefe, BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science

I came in so afraid. Afraid of everything, and unsure of how I was going to cope. I hadn’t been within the four walls of a formal classroom in a very long time. At the beginning of the trimester, I was overwhelmed with adjusting to school life, family life, and the weather. Every assessment due brought on feelings of trepidation. By the end of May, not only did I adjust better than I had feared, but scores from assessments also told me I had it in the bag. I was super proud that I had managed to juggle being a mom of three, being a master’s student as well as being an immigrant in a foreign land. I am looking forward to the next trimester with a lot more ease.

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! Mitefe BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science' over a background of fireworks and stars

David, BSc (Hons) Business Management

In this academic year I got a placement. Since November of last year I was doing applications and interviews for different companies and finally in March of this year I got placement for a logistics company. Next September I will start my placement in Ipswich: that’s my proudest achievement of this year.

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! David BSc (Hons) Business Management' over a background of fireworks and stars

Anonymous

My proudest achievement of this year would be passing all of my modules on my course. This is letting me progress onto level 4 of marine biology.

M7, BSc (Hons) Software Engineering

It was a beautiful year – I learned a lot. My achievements were part of my studies and a few [overcoming] challenges and difficulties. It was the beginning of a project and I hope it will be one of my most important achievements when it is completed

Text reads 'We're celebrating you! M7 BSc (Hons) Software Engineering' over a background of fireworks and stars

Sreelekshmi, MA International Journalism for Digital Media

As an international student at the University of Salford, I initially lacked confidence in my language skills. However, I worked hard to improve my writing after each assessment review. Disappointed with my first trimester grades, I was determined to do better. Finally, in the second trimester, my efforts paid off as I received an excellent review from my module leader. Their inspiring words boosted my confidence and motivated me like never before.

Now, in the final stage of my research paper for the postgraduate course, I reflect on this achievement. It wasn’t just about the grades; it was about the impact those words had on me. They became a source of inspiration, reminding me of the power of hard work and determination.

As I near completion of my research paper, I’m filled with a mix of excitement and nervousness. But I’m really grateful for the opportunity to study at Salford. The level of confidence I gained from here has ignited a fire within, and I am determined to continue striving for excellence, not just in my academic pursuits but in all aspects of life.

Cyril, MA Socially Engaged Photography

My proudest achievement was being the most improved player in rugby union since being a person who have never played it before at the University of Salford. Despite my lack of experience in the game, I improved so much that I played the varsity game against Chester.