BSc Media Technology graduate Micah Williams has gone from strength to strength in his career since leaving Salford. We caught up with him to ask him a few questions about his job, and how Salford helped him to achieve his goals. 

Credit: Micah Williams

WHAT DID YOU STUDY AT SALFORD AND WHEN DID YOU GRADUATE?

I studied BSc Media Technology and graduated just when COVID started in 2020 under the tutorship of Laurence Murphy. 

TELL US A BIT ABOUT YOUR CURRENT ROLE- WHAT DO YOU DO? HOW DID YOU GET THE JOB? WHAT DOES A TYPICAL DAY LOOK LIKE?

I am a part of the Coldplay: Music of Spheres World Tour video crew as a Camera Technician. I set up the robotic rail cams, tower cam and long-lens cameras. During the show, I operate the long-lens camera.  

I’ve always wanted to tour but as a result of covid, the industry went on hold. Instead, I managed to find work in the TV industry as a runner and worked up the ladder from Runner to Researcher until the touring industry reopened. To get my foot in the door, I would send out cold emails and calls to production companies I was interested in working for and PRG got back to me and gave me my first opportunity. Since then, I have been building up my contacts and the opportunity to tour with Coldplay arose which I accepted. 

HOW DID YOUR TIME AT SALFORD HELP YOU IN YOUR CURRENT ROLE?

University of Salford helped me have hands-on experience with equipment and gave me an overall great foundation before stepping into the industry. Also, I gained a great set of peers who have also gone into different parts of the industry and who I can ask for support at any time. It has also taught me why/how equipment works the way it does, enabling me to adapt to any situation quickly. 

WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO DO WHAT YOU DO?

Get yourself out there, find what interests you, research the people who make the content you appreciate and contact them. No question is silly and the worst people can do is not reply but you just need that one door to open. Also be kind, willing to learn and respectable.