We are rapidly approaching the end of the second Trimester but before you can put your full focus into enjoying the sunny weather, there’s just a few more weeks to make the final push and complete your assignments.  

In this blog I’m going to share with you some of my favourite tips & tricks to help reduce your stress and achieve your highest potential this deadline season. 

1. PLAN

It’s extremely important to maximise the limited time you have left before your deadlines. I like to create a document of all my deadlines and stick it on my bedroom wall as a constant reminder and source of motivation to complete my assignments.  

On more of a weekly basis, plan in study sessions around your lectures and other commitments so you know when you can complete your work and you won’t have a sudden panic a few days before it’s due – we’ve all been there!  

2. MARK SCHEMES

One of the best, and easiest, ways to maximise your marks is to read the mark scheme. Find out where the marks are coming from and exactly what points you need to cover.  

You can use this information to help structure your research and then be sure to constantly check you are still on track as it can be very easy to go off-topic, especially when you are trying to reach the word count! 

3. MOTIVATION

Finding new ways to motivate yourself can make doing work a little less boring, for example find new locations to study, I like to work in coffee shops – there’s plenty around Salford, including The Old Fire Station right opposite campus. We actually have a post full of study space locations which you can read here.

You could also study with your friends. I find working next to someone helps to motivate me and holds me accountable if I start getting distracted.  

Other forms of motivation may include snacks, music, podcasts… you just need to find what works best for you. 

4. COMMUNICATE

Everyone on campus is going through the same pressure at this time of year so it’s important to note that you are not alone!  

Be sure to communicate with your tutors for support, if you don’t understand something or missed a lecture, they will be more than happy to assist. Also speak to your course mates, it may help to discuss your ideas with each other and share the progress you are making. 

Also, each School actually has their own Student Progression Administrator! This is a dedicated member of staff who is there to give support if you’re facing any issues which may be impacting academic progress. You can find more details about this here.

5. SOCIAL LIFE

Although it might seem like you need to completely shut off from the outside world in order to get your work done, it’s important to still get outside and see your friends and family.  

Giving your brain a chance to rest and have some fun, will help improve your mood and concentration levels, leading to a better standard of work overall.  

If you’re looking for events and activities on campus to get involved with you can visit our Student Hub or our Students’ Union page.

photo of Niamh with her friend having coffee at a cafe

The most important thing you can do is try your best. Not every assignment needs to be perfect, just take it day-by-day and do the best that you can! Good luck!