Meet India Buxton, a Fine Art graduate from our thriving Art and Design community.

India has had an incredible summer filled with achievements; she went onto to win the Industry Engagement Award at our Annual Create Awards for her inspiring piece of work for Citizens Advice. India also went onto graduate in July and is now starting a teaching assistant role whilst continuing her professional art practice with the support of the graduate scholarship at Salford.

We spoke to India about her experience studying Fine Art, read her story below to find out more.

HOW COME YOU DECIDED TO STUDY FINE ART?

“I decided to study Fine Art as I wanted a course that didn’t close any doors and allowed me to learn about every type of style, medium and technology without constraints.”

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE THE UNIVERSITY OF SALFORD?

“I chose the University of Salford to study because it has a lovely campus, a new art building (New Adelphi) which can be rare for art’s subjects. It’s also in a perfect area which meant it wasn’t that far from home, town and other amenities.”

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO SOMEONE THINKING ABOUT THIS COURSE?

“It’s harder than you think it is, it will push you out your comfort zone, but this will allow you to grow and by the end of the three years it will all make sense to you. Just try and stick with it!!”

WHAT IS SOMETHING THAT YOU HAVE LEARNT FROM THE COURSE, THAT YOU HAVE AND WILL CARRY WITH YOU THROUGHOUT YOUR CAREER?

“Flexibility, things happen, artwork breaks, challenges arise but it all gets done in the end and often these challenges make work better. I just have to be flexible in any project or situation.”

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO NOW YOU HAVE GRADUATED?

“I’d like to continue my professional art practice within my industry of illustrative work and paintings practice for exhibition. Making and working on as many projects and with as many companies as possible as that is what makes me happy.”

HOW HAS THE UNIVERSITY SUPPORTED YOU?

“The University has supported me through staff on my course specifically Angela Tait who nominated me for my Create Award. Angela goes above and beyond to care for her students studying on the course. There’s also the askUS team who are always there, and the technician staff in New Adelphi who are always helpful and supportive when making bodies of work.”

WHAT RESOURCES AND FACILITIIES ENRICHED YOUR LEARNING EXPERIENCE?

“The technician rooms (wood, welding, sculpture, casting, print making, 3D workshops and Adobe Software) have all enriched my course and taught me a variety of techniques and skills. Also having a dedicated studio space enhances the learning experience through practical means.”

TELL US WHAT AN ORDINARY DAY LOOKED LIKE AT UNIVERSITY

“An ordinary day for attending university for me would be arriving at the New Adelphi building at 9-10am, possibly going to a lecture which would last until about 12pm. If there wasn’t a lecture on, I would go to my studio space and start a new painting, I would then have lunch. Some days I would work at the resource centre at lunch time, so I’d eat after I’d done the shop 12-13:30. In the afternoon I would go to workshops till 4pm, head back to the studio, carry on painting, illustrating, sketch booking or writing essays until 7-8pm. I’d then pack up, head home and do it all again the next day.”

CAN YOU TELL US ABOUT YOUR PROJECT WITH CITIZENS ADVICE?

“My project with Citizens Advice was advertised by internal sources with the university as the engagement team send out emails every week which showcase projects that are being offered to students. They tend to be from external contacts and provide great work experience whilst studying.”

“I saw this project who needed an illustrator for the design of their inflatable elephant, so I submitted my design and it won!! I then was in contact with a company called Jaywing who were managing the events, I was tasked with creating the design through Adobe Illustrator. After several correspondence the design was approved and sent to the inflatables company. I was then invited for a photoshoot on the day of the event Saturday 17th February 2024.”

The inflatable elephant for Citizens Advice was created to encourage young adults to talk about finances, you can find out more about it here.

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE THE WINNER OF THE INDUSTRY ENGAGEMENT AWARD AT CREATE 2024?

“It feels great to win the award, I’m so thankful for being nominated and I had such a wonderful night attending the ceremony.”

Learn more about BA (Hons) Fine Art