WELCOME TO MY WORLD

Hey! My name is Emma, I’m in my second year of studying BA Broadcast Journalism here at the University of Salford. I am originally from a small town in Essex, which has a totally different vibe to the fast-paced life of the city.

As a Student Social Media Assistant, I’m here to give you tips, tricks and advice on university life. Here’s my story to get started!

HOW DID I GET HERE?

If I’m being honest, when I left school I didn’t think twice about university, let alone journalism. I went on to study TV and Film in college, with no real idea of what I wanted to do in the future. My passion for journalism came completely out of the blue, I realised it combined everything about media that I loved. I love having a voice, and I love being able to influence people with it.

I started researching journalism courses across a range of different universities and decided it looked like a great way to get into the industry. I applied for universities down the road from home and ones right across the country. Did I think I would end up in Manchester? No. But I’m SO glad I did.

WHY SALFORD?

Salford filled the fifth university choice on my application, it was the furthest away from home and I had never been further North than Peterborough (which I now realise isn’t ‘the North’ at all). I’d seen the photos of MediaCityUK and thought pffft, this must be exaggerated for advertising purposes, right?

Wrong. I travelled to Salford (past Peterborough) for the first time to attend my interview. The second I arrived I knew it was where I wanted to be, it is EXACTLY what it says on the tin. Don’t believe me? Come and see for yourself.

5 STAR UNI LIFE

Without making this sound like a clichéd TripAdvisor review, the accommodation is outstanding, the staff go above and beyond, and the location is unbeatable. Really, that’s my honest opinion on this place.

The biggest highlight from my first year would be the accommodation, I became so house proud of my flat that I was gutted when I had to move out. It was great living on campus (I’m a lil bit lazy at times) and having your new-found pals live amongst you made it feel like an episode of Friends every day. Take me back!

My course has exceeded my expectations. It’s encouraging to know I’m working with industry-level equipment with industry experts – I feel confident enough already to step foot into a newsroom and show them what I’m made of! I’ve had so much fun producing and creating content, not to mention presenting LIVE in front of an audience (yes – the audience were my peers but hey, an audience is an audience!).

MAKING IT COUNT

The clock is ticking and my future is just around the corner. First year was unforgettable, second year is like first year with an added sprinkle of stress, and third year will be the big finale of my life as a student, I’m a strong mix of both scared and excited!

Although university is flying by, I have no doubt I’m in the right place for a bright future. All I can say is don’t be afraid to move away from home and don’t put yourself off by worrying about the social aspects, take a leap and surprise yourself. I can’t name a better place to do so than at Salford!