If you’re thinking about going to university, now’s the perfect time to book your place on our Open Days. Not only will you get the chance to learn more about life at the University of Salford, you might also be prompted to think about what you really want to do with your future, like Natacha…

Hi Natacha, please can you tell us a bit more about yourself?

My name’s Natacha, I’m 27, I’m originally from Portugal and I’m studying Broadcast Journalism at the University of Salford. I’ll be going into my third year in September.

How did you decide what you wanted to study?

It was actually by going to Open Days. I went to Open Days for two years in a row, because initially I wanted to study nursing, but when I first went to Open Days I realised it wasn’t for me. So I decided to delay applying for another year and pick what I really wanted to study – something that I loved. I had always felt a passion for journalism, so I thought, why not try it now?

What convinced you that journalism was the right choice?

The first time I went to university I was 18, and while Journalism was the course I wanted to study, I ended up choosing Sociology because that was the course most of my family members had taken and they were successful at it. Journalism was always at the back of my mind, but I was worried that it’s not always a stable profession. Now that I’m older, I can see that you really can take your opportunities in the industry if you work hard. When I was choosing my course this time around I just wanted to do something that I loved. And now I’m really, really enjoying it. I’ve loved every year!

When you were researching different universities, what stood out about our broadcast journalism course?

The location really stood out. I mean, what better place is there to have a Journalism course than MediaCityUK? I think it’s so smart to have a campus there. I also researched some of my lecturers and saw that they were still working in TV, digital and across various platforms. That was really something for me.

What impression did you get after coming to our open day?

How can I put it…? It just felt very warm. Maybe because Salford’s a bit smaller than other universities, it felt more one-on-one, more welcoming. I got to see the studios and got to go around campus. It was really good, I really enjoyed it.

What advice would you give to someone who’s going to an open day?

When you go to Open Days, try to see whether the staff working in the university are accessible – if they are open to hearing your questions and giving you direction. Obviously, this depends on the course, but you should also check whether the university is investing in the course as much as you are. If there are students around, ask them about their experiences as well. That’s really important because you’re hopefully going to be doing the same thing as them in the upcoming year.

There so many options that it’s very common to feel confused about which course you want to take or which university you want to go to. It’s a lot of pressure so it’s important to get a bit of guidance, to see different unis, and to find out what you love and what’s suitable for you.

Thanks Natacha, that’s great advice. We wish you the best of luck for your final year!

Sign up now to our next undergraduate Open Day to learn more about studying at the University of Salford.