Blog post by Olubukola Ashiru, MSc Digital Business graduate

I had often told myself that I would no longer attend any kind of structured learning after obtaining a first degree, an MBA, and a few other professional certifications, but alas! 😄 I am here undertaking my MSc in Digital Business at the University of Salford, and I have no regrets!

I have completed all my formal learning in my home country, Nigeria, and am thus familiar with the learning/teaching style there. Coming to the United Kingdom to study has been a whole new experience for me, and I am soaking it all in! I have gained new communication skills, new ways of dealing with business challenges as a Business Development Manager, new ways of working in teams, new ways of presenting—new everything, to be honest. As I get to grips with all of this, I am also gaining more confidence in myself.

I decided to come to Salford Business School because I wanted to deepen my understanding of Digital Business, from curating new opportunities to planning and implementation. The coursework has been very comprehensive and covers all aspects of business, from marketing strategies to finance. I have learnt a great deal about how businesses are run and what goes into making a successful one. The faculty are also very experienced and knowledgeable, which has made for an excellent learning environment thus far.

There are two ways of thinking that Salford Business School has encouraged me to adopt through their courses: firstly, to be open-minded about the opportunities I pursue and always be open to new things that come my way; and secondly, to understand the power of networking and developing close relationships with people from all backgrounds.

I can honestly say that I have never felt so inspired and supported as I have during my time at Salford Business School. The module leaders here are experienced professionals who really know their stuff, and they’re always happy to help students who are struggling. They make the effort to get to know you as an individual, and they’re always on hand to give advice or help with your studies.

The support doesn’t stop there either. There’s a great team of administrators and support staff who are always willing to go the extra mile to help you out. They’ve helped me with everything from finding accommodation to sorting out my visa, and they’ve always been friendly and helpful.

The campus itself is also great. It’s modern and well-equipped with a super extensive library boasting a plethora of resources, and it’s in a central location, which makes getting around easy. Manchester is a great city for students, with loads to do and plenty of opportunities for work and internships.

At Salford Business School, I have had the opportunity to learn from and work with some amazing people. My classmates come from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures, which has made for some really interesting and enriching discussions both inside and outside of class. Working on different projects with different team members has made me appreciate collaboration and teamwork. I have seen seemingly impossible goals achieved just because of outstanding teamwork!

I have also been lucky enough to have had some great tutors who have really helped me to develop my business acumen and understand the practicalities of working in the digital business world.

Since joining Salford Business School, I have taken a range of courses that have given me the leadership skills and knowledge needed for a career in Business Development and Management.

The courses I have taken include Digital Business and Entrepreneurship with a focus on the Healthcare sector, which opened me up to how Digital Transformation can help all types of businesses in the health sector. My first assessment for the module was to write a white paper on wearable devices, and I thoroughly enjoyed all the research and creative thinking that went into that. My second module is Search and Social Media Marketing, where I have been tasked with optimising my digital brand/presence on specific social media platforms and, yes, you guessed right, writing this blog! 😉

Each of these courses has given me a different perspective on innovation in new business, and digital technology, and has helped me to develop the skills needed to be successful in this field. These skills are shaping me to be a dynamic presenter, a team player, and hopefully, a great storyteller.

Olubukola in her graduation gown and clutching a bouquet of flowers, stands outside The Lowry theater where her ceremony took place.

Since I joined Salford Business School, my work has improved drastically. The environment is highly competitive, and everyone is extremely passionate about their work. This has rubbed off on me, and I am now more diligent and hardworking than ever before. In addition, the coursework at Salford has given me a strong foundation in business development and management, enhancing my communication skills and helping me build an organisational mindset. As a result, I am better equipped to take on a career in this field.

The most important thing I have learned from my time at Salford Business School is how to think strategically about businesses, digital technology and capabilities, and business growth. I have also gained an understanding of the different functions within a business, the digital tools/channels to employ and how they all work together to achieve success. Additionally, I have learned about the importance of strategic marketing, modernisation, and sales in any business, and how to effectively manage teams of people. These skills and knowledge will be essential as I begin my career in Business Development and Management.

When visiting Salford Business School and chatting to my fellow students here, you can’t help but hear the pride in their voices when they talk about the opportunities that this place has given them. They have been able to develop skills, take part in international activities and events, shape their education pathway with appropriate modules, and make connections along the way.

Overall, my time at Salford Business School has given me a strong foundation on which to build my career in business development and management and has helped me to master time management and develop other essential on-the-job abilities, such as leadership and communication skills.

In conclusion, I have found my time at Salford Business School to be extremely beneficial in preparing me for a career in business development and management. The coursework will give me a strong foundation of knowledge to build upon, and the faculty are always there to offer guidance and support. I would highly recommend Salford Business School to anyone considering a career in business.

Selfie of Olubukola and her kids in one of the buildings on campus.
My kids and I on campus.

Blog post originally published by Olubukola on LinkedIn.