MediaCity is home to one of our campuses and if you study any of our media subjects you will likely be spending a lot of time here, but it is not only for creatives! It is a great place to go and live as a university student. To help you get to know it a little better, I have shared my favourite things about living in MediaCity. 

Ideal location

MediaCity is next to Salford Quays, and it is absolutely beautiful, but the best part about it is that our university building is right in between the BBC and ITV. This comes with many opportunities and connections, such as frequent guest lecturers working at these famous media companies.  There are also lots of other smaller media companies, such as Dock10.  If you are a theatre fan, The Lowry is just across the street, where there is always a wonderful play or musical to go and see.  

MediaCity is also very easy to get to from our Peel Park campus, you just need to hop on the number 50 bus, which is free if you show your student ID.  If you are coming from Manchester city centre, you can take the tram directly to MediaCity. 

Nature right on your doorstep

Even though MediaCity may be better known for being the home of the BBC or ITV it’s much more than that. There are some lovely gardens and green spaces that are perfect to spend the day in. If the weather allows it, you will see groups of friends and families enjoying some time together in the gardens and even sunbathing on the rare hot day!  

You can even take part in watersports activities organised by the Salford Watersports Centre right in the Quays, some include; cold water swimming or even a moonlight paddle!

A creative hub

MediaCity is full of life and there is always something going on. Don’t be surprised if you run into more than one film crew, either professionals or some of our students, who can often be seen creating content around MediaCity for their course. You may even see the odd celebrity if you keep your eyes out for them. 

MediaCity is also a common destination for people to come and spend the day, enjoying some shopping at the Quayside Outlet with shops like The Body Shop, Claire’s and even Marks & Spencer’s.

Packed with culture

As I have already mentioned, MediaCity is home of The Lowry Theatre where you can go and catch a show, enjoy their restaurant or even attend workshops.  

The Imperial War Museum is also just across the bridge from our campus. Open seven days a week, it is a great place to go and spend time immersing yourself in history.  Of course, we can’t forget to mention football, MediaCity is only a short 10-minute drive or 20-minute walk from Old Trafford, the home of Manchester United FC. You can catch them playing there most weeks and even if you don’t have a ticket, it is lovely to soak up the atmosphere. 

Food, food and more food

It may just be my opinion, but if I had to choose my favourite thing about MediaCity it would be the food! You can find a large variety of cuisines, from traditional English classics such as Greggs (perfect for a mid-lecture snack or a quick breakfast), to international cuisines like Wagamamas. However, the best place has to be Kargo MKT. Recently opened Kargo MKT hosts over 20 international food stalls from Ethiopian and Greek to Korean and Indian, you name it, and they probably have it. It is open every day and has live music performances too – I think it is a great place to go if you’re missing your own country’s cuisine. 

There are many different types of accommodation around MediaCity.  Find more information about accommodation around MediaCity and the rest of Greater Manchester. 

I haven’t been living in MediaCity for a long time but I have already come to love it. It is a perfect balance of business and calm. Quite often I don’t even need to go to Manchester city centre as I have everything I need right on my doorstep in MediaCity.

Moving away from home can be scary, but for me, living in MediaCity seems to make it a bit easier.