Hauwa travelled over 5000 miles from Nigeria to Salford to pursue our MA Digital Video Production and Marketing course. Read on to find out more about how Hauwa’s experience at Salford has contributed to building an exciting career.

Credit: Hauwa Yakubu

WHAT MADE YOU CHOOSE THE UNIVERSITY OF SALFORD?

As an international student researching prospective university options, one of the foremost metrics for me were security, standard of education and proximity to the heart of journalism. All of which research pointed me to the University of Salford, here in Manchester. The rest they say is history, but I am so super grateful that a singular decision positively influenced my career and personal life.

TELL US ABOUT YOUR JOURNEY FROM SALFORD STUDENT, TO WHERE YOU ARE NOW AND THE WORK YOU’VE DONE.

I graduated in the winter of 2022 and it’s been an amazing journey. Before graduating I got a job working for an incredible Augmented Reality and 3D animation company where the skills and expertise I was acquiring at Salford, helped shape me creatively, and placed me in an incredible position professionally. Since Salford, I have won multiple awards; represented the UK on global awards for women in STEAM; led incredible PR and marketing campaigns for international brands; spoke on global stages; mentored young people across 14 countries on platforms like ADPlist, CherryonTech, Micromentor etc, more recently got chosen as a UN Women Delegate for the UK and above all, continued to volunteer at nonprofits like Fareshare. This is something our tutor Sarah Hodgetts and the University of Salford have helped initiate through our final thesis which brings awareness to food shortage in the UK.

WHAT DOES A TYPICAL DAY LOOK LIKE FOR YOU?

A typical day involves planning, working from home, mentoring and challenging myself to be better than the previous day.

WHAT ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF?

Multi international awards, speeches on global stages, working for the biggest brands in the world, judging on industry panels and several accomplishments later – I am most proud of the parents who raised this girl, giving everything to ensure a life for her and 5 siblings. Without them, I never would have had the courage to take the first step to travel over 5000 miles to Salford to study.

WHAT WAS YOUR MOST MEMORABLE LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF SALFORD ?

Every experience at Salford remains memorable, one way or another. However, Mirage Islam and Sarah Hodgetts both created lasting memorable learning experiences that I will forever be grateful for.

IF YOU HAD ONE MESSAGE TO CURRENT STUDENTS, WHAT WOULD IT BE?

Your life is yours to carve however way you deem fit – so trust yourself and never let the world make you think otherwise.

Explore our MA Digital Video Video Production and Marketing course