Nicole decided to make a slight switch in her course choice from BA (Hons) Fashion Design to BA (Hons) Fashion Business and Promotion in the hopes of both expressing her creativity but also having more of a business mindset. Read on to find out more about Nicole’s experience studying this course.

TELL US A LITLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF

I’m a Fashion Business and Promotion student currently studying in my second year at the University of Salford. I’m originally from Carlisle and have a deep love for all things art and fashion.

Photo of Fashion Business and Promotion student Nicole Swatts
Credit: Nicole Swatts

HOW COME YOU DECIDED TO STUDY FASHION BUSINESS AND PROMOTION?

I decided to study this degree as I was studying Fashion Design but wanted to change courses. I loved every aspect of Fashion Design, but I was getting frustrated with making garments. It was never something I had considered in the past, but I know now I made the right decision as I am still able to express my creativity.

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO SOMEONE THINKING ABOUT THIS COURSE?

If you are considering studying on this course I would 100% say to go for it! It is for anyone, from a creative to someone with a business mindset. We cover all areas of fashion, from marketing to trend prediction.

‘The tutors are amazing and so supportive and they have made me feel so confident in going on to getting a career in any area of the fashion industry’

Nicole, BA (Hons) Fashion Business and Promotion Second Year Student

WHAT IS SOMETHING THAT YOU HAVE LEARNT FROM THE COURSE, THAT YOU WILL CARRY THOROUGHT YOUR CAREER?

I have learnt on this course how to manage my time better which will be so helpful going forward with my career. I’ve also gained a lot more confidence which will stay with me forever and not doubting my ideas. Also, skills from photography to writing and research has been so beneficial.

HOW HAS THE FASHION BUSINESS PROMO TIKTOK ACCOUNT BENEFITED YOUR LEARNING AND EXPERIENCE ON THE COURSE?

Being a part of the TikTok account @fashionpromosalford for my course has helped so much with my learning as it’s encouraged me to gain more experience in the social media area of fashion. It has also pushed me to go out in Manchester more frequently to see what the city has to offer and create research for these TikTok posts.

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO WHEN YOU GRADUATE?

When I graduate, I would perhaps go into a job as a fashion buyer or working within a design team of a fashion brand. I’ve loved learning about trend prediction so much in the course and these types of jobs enable me to use these skills.

WHICH AREAS OF THE COURSE HAVE YOU ENJOYED THE MOST SO FAR?

I’ve enjoyed all areas of the course but at the minute I’m particularly enjoying the work experience module. I’m currently working as a design intern for the fashion brand Glamorous and it’s such a fun experience getting to learn what goes on in a fashion company and getting an insight into my life after university. I could never picture my future but with the support from the tutors I now really can.

HAVE THERE BEEN ANY EVENTS, WORKSHOPS, GUEST SPEAKERS THAT YOU HAVE ENJOYED?

We’ve had quite a few guest lecturers whilst being on the course which has been helpful to our studies. My favourite was Charlotte Jade Johnson who created her own company helping fashion brands launch and grow their businesses. She herself had a change of career path and this was really reassuring to someone like me who had done a similar thing like changing degrees as she is so successful.

WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO STUDENTS APPLYING FOR THIS COURSE?

If I could give any advice to a student applying to this course, it would be to really enjoy and make the most of your time studying this degree. There are so many different workshops, programmes and opportunities the university offers, you should use them while you can! It is such a fun course to study on, but as long as you work hard on each project you will succeed.

Explore our BA (Hons) Fashion Business and Promotion course