Wenxi Hu has just graduated from our School of the Built Environment after she took a year away from her hometown in China, to study Msc Real Estate and Property Management. I was lucky enough to meet with Wenxi, to talk about what she describes as the “most interesting year of her life.” As well as educating herself in her area of study, she has grabbed Manchester’s diverse and cultural offering with both hands, and explored for herself a different way of life. 

Image: Wenxi by the sign

Where did you first hear about MSc Real Estate and Construction Management?

I heard about if from my teacher back at my university in my home town. I’d not heard of Salford before, however I was told of how good the School of Built Environment is, and that Salford and the surrounding areas, such as Manchester, have a lot to offer international students!

Why did you choose to study in the UK?

To be honest, studying abroad has always been my dream, so when I head I had the chance to apply for a master’s degree in the UK, I jumped at the chance. I almost instantly applied for MSc Real Estate and Property Management and it’s just been fantastic for me. I must say, this has been the first time I’ve travelled abroad, and it’s been amazing.

Image: Rhys interviewing Wenxi

Was the application process easy?

The stages of applying to study here were easy, however, the exam that I was required to pass was certainly the most challenging part of the whole experience. If you put in the effort required, you really shouldn’t have a problem.

What has been the most enjoyable part of studying at Salford?

As I said, I’ve not previously had an opportunity to explore outside of China, so for me the most enjoyable bit has been being able to speak to people from different cultures and countries from all around the world. Also, practicing my spoken English has been fantastic too. At the beginning of my time here, I would have struggled to talk so well with you, that’s not to say there isn’t room for improvement though.

What is your favorite thing about Manchester?

The weather! I understand that it sounds a little strange, but compared to my home town, the weather is much more comfortable. When it’s warm in China, it is very humid, whereas here, I find the weather less intense. Also, there is much less traffic which is great. I have to say, my first meal was a real highlight, I had fish and chips! Living here has been the most interesting time of my life.

What did you study before coming to the UK?

At my previous university, I was studying Finance, so Real Estate and Property Management really was a new path for me. I’ve always loved the idea of managing big-scale projects, especially in the real estate sector. I wanted to try something new, and I’m really happy with where I am at the moment after taking that risk.

What is your career goal?

When I graduate, I think I’m going to go into the workplace back in China. I’ve loved being in the UK, however that’s not to say I won’t travel with my career again. All I know is I’d love to go into Real Estate, and that really is down to my master’s degree from the University of Salford.

I want to thank Wenxi for taking the time out of her busy schedule to talk to me about her time in the UK. I wish her the best of luck in her future projects!