Tyler Kent is a Popular Music and Recording student at the University of Salford who has just released his new EP Premature Infatuation. After picking his first guitar at 13-years-old, he knew that music was going to play a huge role in his life.

I chatted to Tyler about his new EP and his musical inspirations, take a read 💭

How would you describe your music?

That is one problem as my music spans across all genres (some songs intertwine various genres). My music has been described by others as “avant-garde” due to it sounding new and different. Yet, it continues to be groovy and catchy for listeners. 

What inspired you to create this EP? 

I have various albums ready to be recorded and thought that this would be a great introduction for people.

Can you tell us the story behind some of the tracks?

I do like people to make their own interpretations of my tracks rather than me telling them what the songs really mean. They are then able to make their own personal meanings for the songs rather than me telling them “no, it doesn’t mean that. It means this”.

On the EP, do you have a favourite track? If so, can you tell us why it’s your favourite? 

I love them all equally for different reasons. One of the main reasons for all the songs is that they all do not sound like any other artist’s work that I’ve heard.

“Lydia” is a constant groove; “Sashay” is a fusion of genres; “In the Limelight” is a calmer groove but still draws you in; “Premature Infatuation” – it has an extremely fun chorus; “Provocative Movement” is the raunchiest on the EP.

Who are your top five favourite Artists of all time?

John Mayer – Pop

He is raw in the way that he writes and wears his heart on his sleeve. Most songs written are relatable.

Prince – Funk

I learned about Prince’s story within the past few years and I found it surprising how similar our song writing processes are. He is the most recent top five for me.

Joe Bonamassa and Stevie Ray Vaughn are tied – these two are blues essentials.

They present blues in a way that people can understand it perfectly.

George Benson – He’s a jazz classic!

Can’t get any better than his musical phrasing. 

Brothers Landreth – Country

The lyrical writing and harmony used is perfection. With the lyrics, they show the perfect amount of vulnerability whilst maintaining stable stories.

How do you go about writing a song?

Whatever comes first, I follow that. If the guitar melody comes first, I work the lyrics around the guitar melody. If I hear vocal lines, then I fit instruments around that. In addition, I do have a type of geometric Synesthesia which helps in songwriting – I see shapes, and colours when notes or chords are played and sung.

Have you always been interested in music? Was there a particular moment that made you say “Wow, I want to do that”?

Oh yes. My Dad is a drummer so watching my dad and playing around in the studio was where it all started. The first song that grabbed me was surprisingly a song by a band called “The Darkness” and it’s called “Black Shuck”. It’s loud, aggressive and exhilarating. That was the initial song that inspired me. As for guitar, for as long as I can remember, I used to look up at a candy apple red 1986 Fender Stratocaster that was always on the wall. But I wasn’t really allowed to play it because I was young. That was another factor that fuelled me to play the guitar as I desired that guitar.

What are your musical plans for the next 12 months or so?

Well, if COVID lifts, I am endorsed by a guitar company called Patrick Eggle Guitars. If all goes to plan, I will be playing at all guitar shows across the UK in addition to playing throughout the UK.

What would you say to the next generation of music makers?

It is an honour to be able to play music and a privilege when people listen to your own music.

You can listen to Tyler’s EP here.