Get to Know Me

Hi! I’m Joanne, and I am a master’s student studying MA Digital Video Production and Marketing here at the University of Salford. Originally, I am from Newcastle but have lived in Salford now for over four years after falling in love with MediaCityUK while studying towards my BA Television and Radio degree.

In addition to being a Salford student, I am also an SSMCC (Student Social Media Content Creator) – essentially, I’m here to offer advice on university life, and I’m very much looking forward to sharing my own BA and MA student experiences with you all on the very informative ‘Made in Salford’ blog!

My Journey to Salford

My journey to Salford was actually very plain sailing! After having my heart set on a career in the television industry, I took the appropriate A-Levels and applied for a place on Salford’s BA Television and Radio course. I got accepted, moved down from Newcastle, and began a new chapter in my life.

Although I really enjoyed my undergrad course and learned so many new skills, in my final year I realised that a career in television just wasn’t for me (which was totally fine!) and that I actually really enjoyed digital marketing. After my realisation, I started looking at MA marketing courses that Salford offered – I didn’t want to move to another university as I enjoyed my time in the city so much I simply did not want to leave!

Fast-forward six months, I’m now enrolled on Salford’s MA Digital Video Production and Marketing course, and I’m loving every second of it! Following my gut and pursuing a master’s degree in a course that I feel so passionate about has definitely been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made!

Why Salford?

Salford was my first-choice university for both my MA and BA. What enticed me to apply was the high quality and high-profile academic facilities available to students. Being the only university with a base at MediaCityUK and studying a media-related degree, I knew it would be the best place for me.

Studying within the heart of media organisations such as the BBC and ITV, while having access to industry-standard equipment and specialist spaces, was just an opportunity that I couldn’t refuse.

Grab Every Opportunity!

Some advice I would like to give is – grab every opportunity – and if you take anything from this blog post – make sure to have those email notifications turned on!

During my time at Salford, I’ve had the chance to be a stand-in contestant for Master Mind rehearsals, secure a week’s worth of industry work experience as a transcriber for an MTV show and even be an audience member for University Challenge through frequently checking my student emails!

Enjoy Yourself!

Finally, I would like to remind everyone to enjoy their time at Salford. The University is brimming with amazing experiences and opportunities for all students.

I’m really looking forward to giving you an insight into my experience as a University of Salford master’s student!