Hello! My name is Sam, and I’m studying Film Production at the University of Salford. I am 21 years-old, a proud Mancunian, and a Student Social Media Content Creator.

I’ll be working amongst the Social Media Team to produce content for the University’s socials, highlighting what the university has to offer, and life as a student to current and prospective students.

MY ROUTE TO SALFORD

Here’s where things get complicated… Initially, I’d left college and moved to sunny Yorkshire to study Journalism. Over time, I came to realise that it wasn’t for me. So, I moved back to Manchester and began working full-time at a marketing firm in Altrincham. Something still didn’t feel right, and it wasn’t until I’d began considering my options that I realised why. I’ve always been a passionate photographer and videographer, working on projects and freelancing for a variety of clients in my spare time. I wanted to pursue my passion, so I started researching going back to university.

After some digging, I realised that I had a university right on my doorstep. With a focus on industry and a presence in MediaCity, a move to the University of Salford looked like the change I needed. So, I jumped at the chance, and never looked back. When I started studying at the University of Salford, straight away I felt reinvigorated and ready to learn.

Students Outside University of Salford MediaCityUK
Credit – Charles Leek

WHY SALFORD?
As I touched on previously, there’s a variety of reasons that the University of Salford was right for me. There’s a buzz around the University – an atmosphere of putting ambition before anything else. The University felt fresh, modern, and progressive. With its rich history and connections to industry, I knew this was exactly what I was looking for. Plus, the University is surrounded by great transport links and amazing nightlife. So, moving to Salford was an absolute no-brainer.

I’ll be honest, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from a Film Production course. Would I be thrown in the deep-end, camera in hand? Or would I be sat at a desk, filling out worksheets, and staring out of the window? Luckily, neither of these scenarios were the case. The course struck a nice balance between practical work, history and research, and additional skills such as script writing, or cinematography. Being able to pick from a range of modules was key to my enjoyment of this course. This freedom meant that I was able to focus on areas of my skillset that I wanted to develop, whilst also developing new passions in subject-specific areas. Having access to a wide variety of camera gear is great and allows you to hone your skills in and out of lectures.

MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR TIME HERE
There’s more to Salford and Manchester than meets the eye. It might take some exploration, but there’s truly something for everyone here. Here are some of my personal favourite ways to make friends, have a laugh, and enjoy the city.

Credit – Sam Michael Wood

1. Go to a gig! Salford and Manchester’s independent music scene is vibrant, exciting and unique. From the basement of YES, to Off the Square, and other independent venues, you’re never too far from an incredible gig for the price of a pint.

2. Shop until you drop. Manchester’s Northern Quarter is full of independent businesses, and culture. From otherworldly bars and restaurants to the nostalgia of the vinyl shops and the vintage kilo sales, you can spend all day getting lost in the more contemporary side of Manchester.

3. The Students’ Union. The Students’ Union is home to various events throughout the week. From the pub quiz on Monday, to bandaoke on Thursdays, there’s always something happening. It’s a welcoming space, and a great opportunity to meet some new mates!

So that’s me! I can’t wait to get started, and hopefully you enjoy what’s to come.