Dr Chalee Vorakulpipat was awarded the Royal Thai Government Scholarship to pursue a PhD in the UK. Dr Chalee decided to complete his PhD in Information Systems at Salford and graduated in 2009. Read on to discover his experiences and what he has been up to since graduating.  

What made you choose the University of Salford? 

When I was searching for PhD courses, I discovered that the University was offering a PhD on knowledge management and information systems, and I knew this was the path for me. Salford Business School provides lots of support and opportunities for PhD students including forums, student office amenities and a team of supportive staff. I also felt that even after the first meeting with my supervisor I could build a good relationship with them. They were very supportive and provided invaluable guidance about my research topic before my application. I was also attracted to the location of the University of Salford as I knew a beautiful campus just a short stroll from Manchester would really suit my lifestyle.  

Tell us about your journey from being a Salford student to where you are now. 

My journey through my PhD was incredibly enlightening. Not only did I gain a wealth of knowledge related to my research, but I also developed essential skills for navigating the world of academia, including building the right mindset, fostering a positive attitude and refining my approach. 

I currently work for the National Electronics and Computer Technology Center (NECTEC) back in Thailand and the insights from my PhD have been invaluable in this role. They have informed my research work and from them, I have been able to help establish a Cybersecurity Lab at NECTEC.  

What does a typical day look like for you? 

In my current roles as both a Researcher and a Research Manager, my daily routine is quite similar to my days as a PhD student however there are more expectations of me as I hold a more senior position. My responsibilities now extend beyond theoretical exploration and my focus is also on the practical applications to industries and the real-world contexts. My focus has evolved from personal growth to contributing to the advancement of Thailand through impactful research. 

What’s your favourite thing about your current job? 

I really enjoy that I am still an active researcher. My research now revolves around cybersecurity, focusing not just on the technology but also the human and organisational dimensions of it.  

My current institution encourages an environment of intellectual freedom and autonomy in both thought and action. This mirrors the dynamic that I shared with my PhD supervisor during my academic journey. 

What was your most memorable learning experience at Salford? 

I hold a deep appreciation for my supervisor. He was more than a professor; he was my mentor and advisor. Not only was he interested in my work, but he also took an interest in my family and personal life and this aspect of our relationship is something that I will always treasure. 

What advice would you give to current students? 

You need to work hard and also work smart. Make sure to balance your studies and family time because you need to enjoy your life during the process. 

If you are interested in studying a PhD at Salford, head to our postgraduate research page.