Temisan arrived in Salford from Nigeria to study MSc Finance after working within the world of decentralised finance. The course has enhanced Temisan’s knowledge, employability, and future work opportunities. Explore Temisan’s experiences studying at Salford below.

What is the best thing about your course and how is this helping prepare you for your future career?

The best thing about my course is my expert tutors and having their knowledge passed onto me. We get a lot of contact time with our tutors and the sessions are very engaging. I always leave every class having learnt something interesting and important.

Throughout the course, I feel I am also learning soft skills which will help me in my future role. I have the confidence to make better arguments and understand the need for strong evidence to support my case now.

Overall, this course has increased my employability and I know by the end of the programme I will be prepared for the next step in my career.

Why did you choose to study MSc Finance at Salford?

My undergraduate degree was in microbiology but after graduating I followed my passion for economics and finance into the world of decentralised finance. Therefore, studying an master’s in finance felt like the right next step for me.

From the very start of the application process, I believed that the University of Salford made it clear that they would support me through my studies and that was extremely important to me. I am so pleased with the quality of education I have received so I do believe I made the right choice with Salford.

What helped you to settle into life at Salford?

For my school education, I attended a boarding school, so I am quite used to being away from home however it is still a big change moving abroad to study.

Manchester and Salford have fantastic transport networks including buses, trams and trains so I found it very easy to find my way around which made settling in a little easier.

The University has lots of events and different teams to make sure you don’t get lonely or homesick. The care provided by Salford is truly amazing, I can honestly say there is always someone to reach out to if you need help.

What is your favourite thing about living in Salford?

I live in Salford Quays, which is a beautiful location surrounded by water and green spaces. I enjoy seeing the natural beauty every time I leave my home. I also think the area is very clean and well-connected to the rest of the city.

I find the people in Salford and Manchester to be very friendly and helpful. They are great places to live as an international student because there is a community feel and I always feel welcome everywhere I go.

What advice would you give to future international students?

Decide exactly what you want to do and then work hard to excel at it.

What are your future plans?

After completing my course, the possibilities available to me are truly endless. I think my next step will be to work towards completing a PhD. Maybe after this, I’ll become a lecturer or launch a start-up. I also really want to finally finish learning Python.