The new academic year is here! Read a letter from an anonymous member of staff who has written a letter especially for you with their advice on how you can make the most of your time as a Salford student.

This letter was written anonymously by an LLB Law with Business graduate. They identified themselves as a home undergraduate student who was the first member of their family to go to university.

Dear student,

Welcome! I’ve been where you are and I know it can be an exciting – but quite daunting time. It certainly was for me as I was the first member of my family to go to University and lived away from home.

Whilst it is important to study hard, it is just as important to enjoy this really special time in your life. I made some wonderful friends who 30 years later I remain in touch with and we remember our time together as students fondly.

If I were to give my younger self some advice now, I would say to be more confident. Salford University has so many great opportunities for students to get involved and grow, and I would encourage you make the most of them.

Good luck in this new, exciting stage,

– Anonymous, LLB Law with Business graduate

This letter is one in a series written by Salford staff members and alumni to you and your fellow students. We hope that, by sharing our experiences and advice, we can help you settle into uni life and feel excited for all that you have to come. Want to read more? There’s plenty to choose from.