The new academic year is here! Read a letter from a member of staff who has written a letter especially for you with their advice on how you can make the most of your time as a Salford student.

This letter was written by Jen, a Creative Writing graduate. They identified themselves as a mature postgraduate student. They commuted to University and studied part-time.

Dear student,

Welcome to Salford and congratulations for getting here! Starting university is a huge achievement and you should be proud of yourself. If you feel scared don’t worry, you’re not alone! This time eight years ago, I decided to pack it in as a teacher, change my career, and head back to university to start a Masters. 

The thought of moving into halls again a second time round sounded intimidating as an older student and so I opted to commute. Commuting can be scary – worrying about traffic, train strikes, and everything else that could delay your journey. When the board is showing “cancelled” or the motorway is more like a car park, just remember that lots of your fellow students are in the same boat and chances are they’re just as stuck as you!  

Commuting can be a great time to get ahead with your studies. On the days I took the train in, I would read and jot notes for essays and assignments and, on the days I drove, I would stick one of our reading list books onto my kindle and be kept company by one author or the other. On the days where I just wanted to turn off, I stuck on some music and just relaxed. 

University is what you make it so make sure to take chances, jump in, and enjoy the journey!  

– Jen, Creative Writing graduate 

This letter is one in a series written by Salford staff members and alumni to you and your fellow students. We hope that, by sharing our experiences and advice, we can help you settle into uni life and feel excited for all that you have to come. Want to read more? There’s plenty to choose from.