Hear from the mature student Carrie-Ann Leigh, currently studying BA (Hons) English Multidiscipline with Foundation Year. You can read about her experiences whilst studying at the University of Salford and why she decided it was time to step back into the world of education.

TELL US A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF…

My name is Carrie-Ann, I am 38 year old mum of two. I have always had a love for art and consider painting, reading and writing to be my favourite things to do. I am a massive fan of Freddie Mercury and Queen, and my favourite television show is The Walking Dead. I decided to go back into education at the age of 36 as a mature student because I wanted to experience something new and follow my interests. It was also important for me to provide a stable future and income for my family. I suffer with a health condition called Sacroiliac Join Dysfunction and Hypermobility which in my case causes severe, chronic, lower back pain. After 18 years of working in childcare settings, I could no longer continue bending, lifting, and being on my feet for ten-hour shifts, and one day (as cliché as it sounds) I had an awakening! I decided the time was right to do the degree, as it would improve my physical health, I would be given the opportunity to explore new avenues, and it would give me more time at home to spend with my children. It was a win-win situation, and I am so happy I took that step (which was a little out of my comfort zone).

HOW DID THE FOUNDATION YEAR HELP TO PREPARE YOU FOR THE NEXT STEPS?

The BA (Hons) English Multidiscipline with Foundation Year has helped me prepare for my next steps by giving me the knowledge of what to expect and what was being asked of me. I had a small advantage as it enabled me to familiarise myself with assessments, I learnt where I needed to be on campus, and I knew what I was doing when it came to my first year.

WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE PART OF THE FOUNDATION YEAR?

My favourite part of the Foundation year was signing up as a mature student, as I really enjoyed meeting other students from various parts of the country and exploring the foundation year.

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO SOMEONE THINKING ABOUT STUDYING THIS COURSE?

The advice I would give to a student who is considering a shared discipline is to be open minded. Originally, I was going down the English Language and Creative Writing route, but as I enjoyed exploring literature on the module, I changed my discipline, and I am do glad I did!

HOW COME YOU DECIDED TO STUDY ENGISH MULTIDISCIPLINE?

I decided to study English Multidiscipline as it is always something that has interested me and I was keen to explore the creative writing route, as I love to write, but most importantly, I want to teach English to children who speak English as a second language, overseas.

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO SOMEONE THINKING ABOUT THIS COURSE?

The advice I would give to a prospective student is to go for it! I am so pleased I made the decision to study for this degree.

WHAT DO YOU WANT DO WHEN YOU GRADUATE?

When I graduate, I plan to begin working again, but before I graduate, I will access the careers service through the University of Salford, as I wish to teach.

WHICH AREAS OF THE COURSE HAVE YOU ENJOYED THE MOST SO FAR?

The areas of the course I have enjoyed the most have been the Creative Writing modules, especially writing my own memoir and authoring a short story, for which I was proud to receive an excellent grade.

HOW WAS THE WORDSCOPE PROGRAMME HELPED YOU AS AN ENGLISH STUDENT?

I was able to access the Wordscope programme through the foundation year. I also chose to take the Wordscope programme again over the summer, which was so beneficial, and I learnt things that I missed the first time-around.

Find out more about studying BA (Hons) English Multidiscipline with Foundation Year