Today is University Mental Health Day. At some point in life many of us will experience some kind of mental health difficulty, and may look for strategies to help us cope and get through the tough times. For me, music is a massive part of my life and although listening to an upbeat song can’t work miracles, I find it can definitely lift my mood. I mean, it is slightly impossible to not feel a tiny glimpse of joy when you hear the introduction to September by Earth, Wind & Fire.

Songs and lyrics mean so much to me, and it’s great to be able to rely on something that can’t be taken away, and is easily accessible. Listening to music might not be the right route for everyone, but you won’t find out until you try, so it could be worth giving it a go.

Make a playlist!

I asked students about the songs that are special to them and have put them into a Spotify playlist, along with many tunes that are meaningful to me. They might not be everyone’s cup of tea I know – so why not make your own! And let us know your good mood songs in the comments below.